• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

What's the MOST Challenging Fish...

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
Never heard of anyone spearing a swordfish around here...... they normally prefer very deep water and don't come near the surface often or at all. That would be one hell of a feat if accomplished

Never heard of anyone spearing a swordfish around here...... they normally prefer very deep water and don't come near the surface often or at all. That would be one hell of a feat if accomplished

in the 70`s a friend of mine -tahitian- speared one and landed it around `tupai` atoll next to borabora an unhabited atoll.
he was lucky ..he was hunting for turtles..and had a float ..he shoot this sword with a very simple wood tahitian gun `old style``
but he shooted perfect in the tail braking the bone !!!
the luck is to meet such a sword that are X-tremly rarely up to surface..
but are some times..
marco

Check it out Mahi...more than one way to catch emparadors...here in Miami its night fishing in 1000+' but in Cali and other cold water places they are seen "sunning" on the top...and so they Rack'em up!

Swordfishing, Rack Em Up

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jsj6aejzjrM#"]Try the New YouTube Player Beta![/ame]

Swordfishing

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yXOu3nv85Rg#"]Try the New YouTube Player Beta![/ame]

I was able to land a few of those trevally with a polespear while we were in the Bay of Islands. Great sashimi!! They were reletively small...2-3lbs or so.

We must have looked pretty funny, We jumped in the water next to Piercy Island in a huge up-welling. We hadnt planned on diving on this trip but was able to scape together some fins and a polespear. I had no wetsuit and the water was around 68 or 69C. I jumped in the middle of the upwelling between about 4 fishing boats (im sure i pissed a couple of them off, but they wernt even catching anything, I think 2 of the boats were trying to "snag" fish with large treble hooks). Took two drops, took two fish, and got my shriveled balls out of the water.

We also found a spot loaded with scallops, went there twice and had two huge scallop dinners:p

You live in an awesome place!

Yeah.... but I think Id opt for the bad vis over the lack of fish:)

I have been diving in Hawaii since I was 8yrs old and I have never seen schools of fish like the ones I saw in the Bay of Islands, Goat Island, Abel Tasmen, Waheke Island. It was incredible. The amount of sea life you have in your waters is amazing.

Dont get me wrong, I love Hawaii and love diving here(I will opt for the warm water:blackeye). I dont have much of a problem finding fish either, but I thought NZed was pretty cool!

bluewaterkiller thats a neat story about your friend, must of been pretty exciting to see that guy under water

Hmmm I've heard instances where they come to surface like that but very rarely at least here....... seems like they are all over the place in those vids, didn't even know you could get them like that... pretty wicked

Yes rack em up is like they doing in Sicilia..but i would say its a commercial fishing then not a sport...

i wonder why they do not jump in water ad shoot `EM up??

Sorry? what did you said ? i did not hear you ? what corones ? you said something about corones?
ha no.. they just does know how to swim ..ha ok...

JOKE>>>>>>>>>>ha ha!!

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT