• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

What’s the most challenging thing about spearfishing?

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

XTAR Dive Light

Jan 20, 2021
Spearfishing is an exciting but adventurous sport. You get great joy of harvest from spearfishing. While, there are also many challenging things to overcome. Some spearo tell improving the hunting skills and using speargun more efficiently may be challenging. Some say spearfishing under harsh environments needs more efforts, such as fishing in the extremely cold river. As a spearfishing beginner, I think having my eyes adjust to the dark and finding fishes in the holes underwater is difficult, :shy:needing more practice. And how about your challenging fishing experience?

-Hailey

I think the most challenging part of spearfishing is to set your ethics and to stay true to them. It's so easy to take a life, and so easy to take a life you would normally not take but now do on the pressure of friends or sense of oppertunity.

As for seeing in dark areas, close one eye while you approach the hole so it's pre-calibrated to seeing in darkness. :)

Last edited:
I like the fact that you don't need to carry or own a dive torch :D

DeeperBlue.com offers advertising to vendors and also the (free) Marketplace - For Sale area of the forum for promoting and selling dive goods ;)

For me, over the years, it has been finding or maintaining good quality dive partners that upload solid values and are safe. For various reasons people move on in life or things just don't work out. It's been harder than I thought. I do think it's easier to find someone compatible if you're starting out.

Beyond that, the rest will fall in place. Practice and go out often. Pick gear appropriate for you and your environment. Discouragement can be challenging whether it's improving the dive or shooting better. The biggest help for me has been to relax and to focus on areas where you can relax.

Reactions: MarcKeu
Spearfishing is an exciting but adventurous sport. You get great joy of harvest from spearfishing. While, there are also many challenging things to overcome. Some spearo tell improving the hunting skills and using speargun more efficiently may be challenging. Some say spearfishing under harsh environments needs more efforts, such as fishing in the extremely cold river. As a spearfishing beginner, I think having my eyes adjust to the dark and finding fishes in the holes underwater is difficult, :shy:needing more practice. And how about your challenging fishing experience?

-Hailey
..do you actually spearfish and do you actually use your torchlight when diving ? post some good videos from your spearfishing. i might be intresting in a good torchlight..but i want to see it at work..

The most challenging thing about spearfishing is to go to the surface in time - not a split second longer - and never go to the depth you are uncomfortable at looking for a fish. Those are lines of separation between life and death.

Yes Vrokhlenko, safety management is a on-going challenge. That is probably biggest. Decision-making, situational awareness, self-assessment. The whole mental discipline is a challenge.

In Winter, the big challenge, for me, is staying warm. And adapting to a sharp sting from frigid arctic water. First five minutes is a continuous struggle until exposed area on the face become numb and lose sensitivity.

Water egress points are a challenge. In British Columbia, shoreline is endless but hard to access. I have spent three days in February hacking through the bush to one promising spot. Made a trail about kilometer long and still not all the way to the water, some lousy 100 yards left. Will finish it one day. A lot of planning and hours of labor, with no fish in sight.

Reactions: XTAR Dive Light
Yes Vrokhlenko, safety management is a on-going challenge. That is probably biggest. Decision-making, situational awareness, self-assessment. The whole mental discipline is a challenge.

In Winter, the big challenge, for me, is staying warm. And adapting to a sharp sting from frigid arctic water. First five minutes is a continuous struggle until exposed area on the face become numb and lose sensitivity.

Water egress points are a challenge. In British Columbia, shoreline is endless but hard to access. I have spent three days in February hacking through the bush to one promising spot. Made a trail about kilometer long and still not all the way to the water, some lousy 100 yards left. Will finish it one day. A lot of planning and hours of labor, with no fish in sight.
BC it amazing! But not too much of a fish variety as afar as I recall. You are a stud to go in winter! :)

The biggest challenge and thrill for me, assuming you have all your gear tuned and a good dive partner, is learning to be a better hunter, learning to be as minimal with movement as possible and being relaxed to safely maximize what you can do when you dive down. I love seeing how fish react to my actions and how what i do affects their behavior

The biggest challenge and thrill for me, assuming you have all your gear tuned and a good dive partner, is learning to be a better hunter, learning to be as minimal with movement as possible and being relaxed to safely maximize what you can do when you dive down. I love seeing how fish react to my actions and how what i do affects their behavior
For this I like to leave my gun at home every now and then. Without a gun you can focus much more on what you are doing and how you're behaving.

Here in blighty, poor weather, poor visibility, inaccurate weather forecasts, traffic congestion, inadequate parking and lack of toilets are some of the biggest challenges we encounter.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT