• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

What's your kicking technique like (no fins)?

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

What's your leg stroke like (no fins)

• Frog kick

Votes: 44 74.6%
  • Flutter kick

Votes: 6 10.2%
  • Other

Votes: 9 15.3%

• Total voters
It may be slightly more hydrodynamic but takes more energy to hold the arms there.

If you are hyper-flexible and use virtualy no energy to hold you arms there, then it is probably slightly better than hands by sides. If you are not hyper-flexible (like most of us) then it is less efficient.

Another issue is that some people don't like to have their descent too fast as it reduces the time for blood shift to occur.

Ben

Topi uses a frog kick with a dolphon finish. It's beautiful to watch and not so difficult to copy (look at what he does with his hands too....). I found it excellent for dives, but less good for dynamics where a more regular frog seems to be better...

Al

Originally posted by alastair
Topi uses a frog kick with a dolphon finish. It's beautiful to watch and not so difficult to copy

I don't think it's easy to perform at all, especially the dolphin kick which requires serious swimming technique. Some people can't perform (or when performing it they get pain in their knees and hips -like myself) the frog kick properly due to biomechanical reasons. So adopt and excel in the technique that it's more suited to your physical characteristics.

Regards, gerard.

I agree with Gerard.
I have tried to mix this too kind of kicks and it's difficult. I haven't tried in CW dives, but in dynamic is hard to masterize. The arms stroke was more easy to copy, and is more effective than usual.
David Lee and Yasemin uses the same movement of arms.
At the "glide" moment I prefer to keep my arms on my side, I'm very stiif to keep it properly ahead

UCB

Hey All, been a while since I have visited this forum...months probably...As far as kicking technique I too have incorportated the dolphin kick in my training and it's very effecient at covering great distances with just a few strokes...BUT I have found that when I am training and use this dolphin kick method it takes a lot out of me physically...ie...50m horizontal no fins with dolphin kick I will do 6-7 stokes in 54 seconds. But my pulse rate is much higher than if I just took my time and did 10-12 strokes in 1:10. Maybe I just need to get stronger and increase my apnea capicity while moving. Over the weekend I managed to film a 25m pass which took 3 strokes to complete in 21 seconds...Just goes to show you that the combination of frogkick and dolphin kick works...I have encoded the video and hopefully will post it on ApneaBlue.com later...e-mail and bug me if I don't.

later, work calls.

David

David,
I'll be waiting impatiently for the movie:eek:

BTW: Can anyone tell me where I can find spearfishing movies. I've found lots of superb freediving clips in the net, but I can't find anything related to spearfishing.:(

Rgrds,
Peter:p

Pete,

Try www.bwhi.com.au, they have a lot of spearing videos there (not to mention they're Aussie so inherently cool :D).

Dave, look forward to the vid - I set a new UCB PB the other day of 30 feet... well OK, it was my first attempt :D

No fins kick

I use combination of frog kick and dolphin kick. I saw the video of Mr. Topi Lintukangas performing his 60 mts. CW no fins. His technique is absolutely perfect. You can learn a lot from that video.

Loopy,
Thank you very, very much for this link.
I didn't know this site exists.
:p
Rgrds,
Peter

ive found several styles,
frog style,
frog+a dolphin kick,
frog finishing with my hands under my body(after doing a little push -just like getting out of the pool-)

head down (hydrodinamics but a little stressing)
or head up (looking to the wall)

doing it slowly (good for mind, bad for speed)
Or fast...

what are your styles, recommendations, experiences?
AIDA rules says you can push from the wall at the start but not on the turns? (i read this somewhere)

pb 70 in a 9m pool and i want to get to 100m this summer in a 50m pool!

I do swimmerstyle

The technique that is shown loopy`s videos is the way to go. This, (glide-breaststroke-glide-frog kick & bringing arms in front-glide) is the technique used by swimmers after the start and after every turn. Dolphin kicks inbetween strokes don`t help much in my opinion. You can do 25m with two strokes, nuff said.

Greets joe:cool:

thanks you j mols

Thanky J mols-for that information -im insteresting in seeing the techique they use for dinamic no fins

hi people

Hi people in my opinion and talking about using dolphin kisk -i only use the dolphin kick for the 25 meter-as part of my training--but when i do long distance i don't do the dolphin kick -i don't now why ,but i feel very relaxe doing this in this way.

____________________________________-

"I can to everything throudh Crist who gives me strength"

saludos amigos muy buen tema este del de unassited sigan asi

Daniel.

where can i found a videos on those techniques you are talking about so i can learn them (except those links you guys gave in this tread and freediver.co.uk)

I thinks Mlaen that the best video we can watch to have an idea about this tecnique is whatching the classical swimmers-as a say we have been adopted by this.

MY question -in a competition doing dinamic no fins what are the rules ?
what kicks do we have to use? or it depend on the person?

saludos

Daniel.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT