• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

When equalizing, air just keeps coming out of my ears.

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Perry15

Apr 22, 2009
My dive buddy claims he saw air bubbles coming from my ears, and I can't quite equalize, it only happens here and there any idea what it's about? or if there are way to work around this? should i be worried?

No reason to worry. GREAT reason to see a doctor. This sounds like a symptom of a perforated eardrum if you've experienced trauma in the past, or a malformation if you haven't. Definitely get it looked at.

If you think about it, and air can get out... water should be able to get in. You shouldn't have to equalize at all...

That said, definitely see a doctor.

My dive buddy claims he saw air bubbles coming from my ears, and I can't quite equalize, it only happens here and there any idea what it's about? or if there are way to work around this? should i be worried?

see a doc but did you feel any air escaping? underwater air bubbles move around so air escaping from spaces may look like its from the ears but may be from a mask space but check it out in any case.

Right, and you better avoid diving before seeing the doctor - water in the middle ear could cause a nasty infection.

did you experienced some sort of vertigo after equalization?

It's weird, it's only in my left ear and it only happened today at the pool.
Usually when equalizing it feels like a block has formed when the whistling stops.
My right ear was doing that as usual, but my left wouldn't... It didn't hurt or feel like it wasn't equalized it just didn't form that block as usual, if you understand what i mean by "form a block"
I'll go and talk to a doc. Thanks guys.

Reactions: saltySD and Kitets
Yes, it sounds like a tiny rupture of the ear drum. Usually it is noting serious and can heal rapidly, but you definitely need to see a doc, and avoid water and pressure changes (including equalizing attempts) till it is over.

taking advantage of this topic...i wonder:
i have sometimes problems eq my left ear to...
finally when i eq, i have this little vertigo for 2-3 seconds....after that the eq go without problems...
should i worried about this?

Does not seem to be a problem, Vali, but should you feel some vertigo or other problems after surfacing, you better see a doc too.

i have this problem only in scubadiving, never in freediving [i don-t know why]
never had vertigo when surfacing or after surfacing, either in scuba or freediving

see a doc but did you feel any air escaping? underwater air bubbles move around so air escaping from spaces may look like its from the ears but may be from a mask space but check it out in any case.

it was not coming from the mask at all it was coming out of his ear and only when he was trying to clear his ears. me and another guy both saw it more then one time.

My friend had a similar case which started just yesterday while scuba diving. She complained about having difficulty equalizing, hence signalled me she'd go up a bit and it became ok. Then on the surface, while doing a valsalva, you could really hear a whistling / "blowing your nose" kind of sound coming from her ear. Air did seem to come out of her ears.

A doctor will have a look at it today, though would anyone know if this is would still heal?

Yes, small eardrum ruptures usually heal fine and relatively quick, so have no fear. However, seeing the doctor is a must, to avoid an infection. And he also needs to investigate whether there is no damage of the inner ear.

taking advantage of this topic...i wonder:
i have sometimes problems eq my left ear to...
finally when i eq, i have this little vertigo for 2-3 seconds....after that the eq go without problems...
should i worried about this?

Late response, but anyway, that sounds like it could be something called alternobaric vertigo.

"Alternobaric vertigo...consists of rotational vertigo, primarily during ascent and may, in severe cases, cause disorientation and vomiting. It is elicited by asymmetric pressure equilibration between the middle ears. A predisposing factor can be middle ear barotrauma and asymmetrical swelling of the eustachian tubes during a day of diving. In some instances scuba divers have been able to cope with even a severe case by stopping the ascent until the vertigo has subsided." (Lindholm and Lundgren, J Appl Physiol 106: 284–292, 2009)

Yes, small eardrum ruptures usually heal fine and relatively quick, so have no fear. However, seeing the doctor is a must, to avoid an infection. And he also needs to investigate whether there is no damage of the inner ear.

What he said.

while everyone is on the subject is it normal for ears to squeak on the way to the surface and when equalizing

while everyone is on the subject is it normal for ears to squeak on the way to the surface and when equalizing

No, you're a freak. :)
I can blow air out of my eyes and that squeaks but ears don't generally make that kind of noise.
You sure you don't have a tiny eardrum rupture?

Regards,
Dave.

I think its pretty normal if you have any mucous there at all. i have it every so often and have no eardrum issues. The major danger is getting a reverse block so if too bunged up don't dive.

My ears often squeak on the way back up, but I never have trouble equalizing.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT