• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

When is the best time to go after Crayfish?

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Romano Mantel

Jan 21, 2018
Hi guys, I am new on this forum and am not even sure how to post here correctly. Sorry if this ends up being in the wrong place...
This is my first year that I bought a Cray license and have been going out a few times. So far no real luck. Only caught one but was too small. I heard/read different things on how crays migrate into deeper waters during certain months. Can anyone tell me when is the best time to go after cray from shore? I don't have boat so am stuck with going from shore...

Thank for all the advice.

Why should you need a licence for crayfish which are invasive in Scotland?

As this concerns species and licenses, this question is very region-specific so I have moved this thread from the Beginner area to the Oz regional area of the forum. Not sure why other posters assumed this concerned Uganda or Scotland of all places - perhaps just making the same point?

Sharkey, not sure about Scotland specifically but generally in the UK the small, native, freshwater crayfish are a protected, endangered species! The (usually larger) American signal crays are an undesirable/destructive invasive species but do(/did) require a licence - possibly to ensure that folk don't unwittingly wipe-out the remaining native crayfish.

Not sure about Oz but I believe in South Africa, the saltwater crayfish look more like big lobsters without the big claws.

Reactions: sharkey
As this concerns species and licenses, this question is very region-specific so I have moved this thread from the Beginner area to the Oz regional area of the forum. Not sure why other posters assumed this concerned Uganda or Scotland of all places - perhaps just making the same point?.

....he ask a questions without mention in wich region of the world he need the advise for.
you figure its oz....maybe you see something in his post that nobody else can see,
or you simply checked in his profile where he is from....perth.
that still did not confirm that this is the region he want to catch his crays.
the point is, if people ask for advise, they should be able to simply provide all the basic informations needed to answer the question.
this typical careless social network generation-style typing dont deserve more then irony....
and i would not be surprised if he never shows up here again to check for answers....

Hi subunit, yes I checked his profile. And yes, you are right he may well have been planning to dive elsewhere - just figured on balance there was a fair chance he was asking about Oz (rather than say the UK) but there are folk on the forum that travel widely.

It is not that unusual for posters to not include all relevant information when they first ask a question - finding that can be half the fun ;)

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT