• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

When to start???

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
I have two boys 5 and 9. I have taught them both to swim by usnig the mask and snorkel and fins. When they have that gear on it was possible for them to float in the water and breathe. They couldnt swim without that stuff at first. I started them both at 4 years old. I have not let them play with the guns yet however my oldest has gone out on several dives with me, when he gets tired he crawls on my back and looks over my sholder. Both can dive under and the oldest can go down to about 15 feet and then right back up.

My boys are constantly asking me when they are going to get their spearguns but I think I will wait untill they are at least 10. And then only under very close supervison. right now they are content to check the crab trap and help me with the fish that I shoot.

They are my guides in training...

Great pics of the kids!

GTB
www.gonetobaja.com

Two of the three DB Caption Contest judges now aged 18 and 15, started at 3 and 5 respectively and it was more about where we were living that determined their ages. For both though, it was their interest in seeing Dad suit up and coming back to the boat/beach with dinner. :p

From that point, I took them into the pool and let them get accustomed to the gear, which for here means a full suit, and is often the reason most don't stick with it- a ill fitting suit lets them get cold and if too tight, lends a feeling of choking. Once they got used to the suit and the tunnel vision I took them to the River where the viz is understandably less and let them go excavating the bottom for crawfish. Next thing I know they're competing for biggest crawfish and statics.

Now that things are all good, they go with me into the more protected coves in close where the surge and wave action won't beat them up. Best thing that happened this way was that there's a seal pod sunning themselves and soon we're all checking each other out. They're made divers now.

I let them into the shop last year and sat with them at the bottom of the pool with an 80 and a long whip and now I have to save for SCUBA gear. :head

A little peashooter like a JBL will be fine and cheap- if she loses it, so what? First chrissakes though, let her get a proper education by keeping her away from that euro crap.. Guns and otherwise. :t

We're just working on the swimming right now.:cool:

Suits won't be a problem- she's just about outgrown her shorty, but I understand my father-in-law picked one up for her at DEMA last year and should fit her by spring.;)

We've tried on some of the tiny swim goggles and she should be ready for a mask by her second birthday. 3 is starting to sound like a good like a good time to start spearing.

A small JBL might work, but a Euro gun would be lighter all the way around. Since we're not going after any trophy sized tuna here I don't think that the small size will be much of a problem.

Jon

Last edited:
yeah, sure. size doesn't matter.

Originally posted by Jon
I don't think that the small size will be much of a problem.
Jon

Yep, that was my thought at first as well...:blackeye At least they look like their Mother.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT