• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Question When to update max breath hold

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

LocoPulpo

Jun 23, 2019
Hi everyone, my free diving journey only began a few days ago, but I’m trying to get as much info on how to start off on the right foot.

Downloaded an apnea app and did a static breath hold 01:06 with just a couple of mins steady breathing beforehand. Did a co2 table starting at 2:30 breath, then hold for 45 secs, obviously the breath decreases each cycle.

A few minutes after I’d completed my first ever co2 table I did another static breath hold and managed 02:15. The app that I used updates the co2 and o2 tables based upon my max breath hold, is it still 01:06 or 02:15. I’m assuming it’s still 01:06 as that was without any prior co2 table training??? How often / when should I update my max breath hold??

Thanks.

If you can consistently finish a table, then its time to update it - make it a bit harder. The idea is to be using a table that you cannot quite finish, but you can ALMOST finish. Work on that until you get to the point where you can always finish it. Then add more.

Reactions: LocoPulpo
Thanks J, I’ll update it a bit as the 45 sec hold is quite easy. Appreciate the advice.

Please don't take that advice. If you're only able to "almost" finish a table, your table is way too hard.

Thats fits into a category of horrible sports advice that doesn't work, and leads to physical and or mental injury.

Imagine telling a rock climber, "you're not getting better if you're not falling". A weight lifter "If you CAN finish your set, you're not getting stronger". Or a race car driver "you're not getting faster if you're NOT crashing".

You should always finish your tables, every single time. If you can't, you are either overtrained, or in the process of overtraining.

You should "update" your breath-hold on cycles. A beginner can do this on 2-4 week cycles, and elite pros can train for an entire year before attempting a new personal best. Lets say you want to do a new PB (??maybe 2:30-2:45) in 4 weeks. Train "everything", your CO2 tables, O2 tables, Fitness... at a 7-out-of-10 difficulty level. This means your training is challenging, but not stressful. (you can finish, with some effort). Eventually (week 4) your training sessions become more specific: Maybe just warm up and hit a 'target' time (2:00-2:15). At the end of the month, attempt a new PB. Thats how training should be arranged, in all sports, in all disciplines.

But FOR SURE, if you cannot finish your training tables, you're going to burn-out. Unfortunately many freedivers see initial success with this method, until they reach their natural-talent-limit. Then, its almost impossible for them to get better using the train-to-breaking-point methods, because they actually don't work. Train properly, and natural-talent-limits are no longer limits, and you'll progress faster.

Reactions: LocoPulpo
DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT