• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

where are the top ten tech dive sites?

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

will_tekkie

Nov 24, 2002
Hi dear nitrogen adicts...I looking for the top ten dive sites for technical divers around the world.....

What´s about ( these are just some suggestions):
1.- Bikini Lagoon ( if you don´t complain about high radiation levels)....but carriers and battleships are a good piece of history...

2.-Truk ( plenty of deep wrecks..ideal for heliair and trimix adicts)

3.- Rabaul

4.-Scapa flow

5.- mexico cenotes

6.- florida cave sistems

7.-andrea doria (the former everest for tech divers)

8.-The blue Hole at Belize

9.- deep reefs at Mozambique ( the last frontier...very pristine enviroment.)

10.-Surpdives such as Britannic 120 m, Lusitania 96m , etc...not available for everybody...

bye...

Will_tekkie.

Whitefish Point in Lake Superior.
She has wrecks from 50' to 535'- The Fitzgerald.
The water is cold, but the vis is outstanding. You can dive on 100+ year old wooden ships that still have the paint on their hulls. One mile out of the harbor is the Vienna (145'), two miles out lies the Zillah(255'), and that's just the close stuff.

Jon

Some I have done and others are on my wish list:

Pres Coolidge--Vanuatu
Truk--Guam
Aaron Ward--Solomons Island
Andrea Dora--US
Mikail Lermentov--New Zealand
Bikini Atoll----Marshall Island
Deep wrecks in Australia
Scape Flow--UK
Mozambique
Deep wrecks in Indonesia

wreck paridise

look i know every one loves thier home town diving but we have some of the best wrecks here in wreck ally. the waters between new jersey , new york long island and mass. have some of the best dives . besides the doria, we got subs , battle ships observation platforms .. over 560 identifable wrecks

GRAVEYARD Of THE ATLANTIC: North Carolina
Like Longisledvr we have tons of wrecks from civilwar era to modern. But we're on the Gulf Stream side of things so our water is usually a little clearer and warmer;)
Jay

We have a WWI German sub sunk out in Lake Michigan. She lies about 20 miles off of Chicago in 250'. She was used during the second world war for bond drives and then taken out and sunk.

We have wrecks that date back to the 1600's, the Griffen, and the fresh water preserves everything very nicely.
I think that we have soemthing like 800+ shipwrecks in Lake Michigan alone. The "Great Lakes Triangle" is suppossed to have many more wrecks in it than the Bermuda triangle.

Jon

I'll second that! over 6000 wrecks in the great lakes. less then 1000 have been found. spent 3 years living in ontario and diving The greatlakes and inland waterway - can't wait to go back!

Check out "The Great Lakes Diving Guide" by Kohl

My Current List for Great Lakes Dives I haven't done (to do list):
I consider most of the list to be Techy - not all because of Depth, some of the shallow ones have penetration possiblities, either way a nice list to peak interest in Greatlakes diving. most of these are elusive because of their location and distance from shore (c'mon folks - I'm on a student budget!)

Roy A. Jodrey 140" - 242" (HUGE)
Olive Brance 90" - 101"
City Of Sheboygan 90" - 100"
Willis 60" - 73"
Wexford >80"
Emma A. Nielsen >190"
Detroit >200"
Dunderburg 143" - 157"
Eber Ward 111" - 142"
Cederville 40" - 106" (HUGE)
Emperor 30 - 175" (HUGE)

And the one I HAVE to do before I DIE :

The Gunilda 257" (a WOW ship)

Last edited:
I have a chance to dive the gunilda this summer, but i can't scrpae together the cash for a week of diving up there.:(

I highly recommend Chris Kohl's books. He has used a bunch of my photos in a couple of his books. Anything in the Wisconsin area usually has my name on it.:D

Jon

I would never have a reef on the top ten dives in the world! Reefs are pretty much the same thing over and over again. I suppose you could put caves on there (not really my thing). I do want to get cave certification though just so I can be better equipped for wreck penetrations. Andrea Doria should be higher up on that list and you need some great lakes wrecks on there.

I'd say the arch in the blue hole in Dahab, Egypt, is definetely up there with the best. Dive it at the right time of day at 60-70m, and you will have light coming through in a stunning display. The bottom is at a rather advanced depth, but worth a look, too!

My other favorite amazing deep dive out there would have to be Thomas Canyon, best dived from Sharm El Sheikh, Egypt. This is a long crack in the reef, opening on a plateau at 30m and then extending down to 90m at the deepest point! In most places it is so narrow that only one diver fits through at a time. There are three arches to go under and then a 10m long tunnel at about 70m depth, after which you swim over the final edge to drop down to 90. Look up and you have the walls of the canyon extending 60m above you! I have had visibility there where we have been able to see boats sillouhetted at the surface from 90 metres down. Finish off the dive with deco on the beautiful Thomas reef and if you are lucky (like me!) you will have a couple of Hammerheads crusing past to take a look.

you could also try the south tip at elphinstone reef (marsa Allam, Egypt), there is an arch at 55-70 meters...very cool, oh and a neighbourly oceanic white tip who normally has a funny way of saying hello ;)

Truk is great for getting into the tech scene- very easy dives. Not worth the effort to do Trimix in my opinion, I dove them all on air.... but that is a whole other issue!

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT