• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Where are your eyes fixed on

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
I used to dive eyes down, paranoid about hitting the bottom of the lake I geuss :) ... but I found that im much more relaxed eyes straight ahead. It also seems like me dive profile is straighter as looking down I tend to pull my neck back, which arched my back, this was obviously not the most efficient dive profile as i was pushing a lot of water with my stomach and my hands were pointed back at an angle.

Now with eyes straight ahead I'm straighter in the water, more efficient on the decent and I get a kick out of watching the rope wiz by :D

Is equalizing changed at all & does water poor into your ear also effecting equalizing???

Haven't noticed any difference in equalizing, and with my wetsuit hood on nothing seems to change with my ears...

I'm not going massively deep yet - just a beginner - but I find that if I look down it pulls on my neck and it feels like things are compressing inside - and I find it harder to equalize.

So now I go down equalizing with a straight neck and keep an eye out for the bottom now and then when I'm not equalizing - hope this is helpful - just my personal experience.

Originally posted by JMD
Now with eyes straight ahead I'm straighter in the water, more efficient on the decent and I get a kick out of watching the rope wiz by :D
He he me too:D :D

But usualy i dive without a rope so i look at the bottom.

Jure

I always look straight at the line (descent and ascent) and for me it's good for many things:

-relaxation
-equalizing
-hydrodynamics

I think it's very important for constant weight diving.

It is much easier to equalize looking straight ahead, or better yet, chin touching the chest; except when equalizing with water in which case you must look where you're going to avoid getting water into the eustachian tubes.

Generally you use less O2 when looking straight forward. I like to keep my head pointing straight ahead, but move my EYES down and look at the surface getting farther and farther away.

Eric Fattah
BC, Canada

I'm generally looking at my feet whichever way I'm finning. Head tucked in seems to keep me calmer and make equalisation easier, its also a but more hydrodynamic. Whenever I see anyone desperately looking ahead of them, up or down, I think of turtles sticking their neck out of their shells.

Eyes are usually shut.. or yes... getting a kick from the rope whizzing by. This is a nightmare in Nice where they pull the rope up with you and it looks like you are getting nowhere!

sam

Lately I'm watching my safety lanyard slide down the descent line about 6' ahead of me, until it gets to dark to see.. then I'm watching the descent line near my face.
Fred

Yes, this is where it all depends on how crappy my noseclip is- which it is.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT