• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Where could I find underwater topology maps?

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
you mean 'bathymetry' maps?

Fuzz,

Don't know if your looking for ocean or lake maps.....but I get all mine from the state website. We have the Department of Natural Resources....the name of the 'outdoor' agency will vary from state to state. I checked a few other states; some have em, some do not. I've never been able to find a national database (like topozone.com) for bath maps.

Ted

Last edited:
fist off there are NO maps for the ocean floor...they are CHARTS. So all you have to do is get a good nautical chart. It should tell you everything you need to know once you know how to read it. Beware, not all charts of the same...I use a set from Hilton Offshore. They have an "almanac" for an area and each page is a very detailed chart of a small area within the larger chart.

Good luck in your search.:D

Aye aye captain rig ;)

:eek: Never been one for correct terminology

I have used this sight before, detail is so so, I just use it for getting an idea of what a bottom looks like. dont know if it does hawaii or not, it has some rough detail of california coast. Hope it helps
Boyd

http://www.topozone.com/map.asp

seriously though Fuzz...thats what a chart does. It gives depth information for a section of ocean floor. Good ones will have contour lines that will help identify ledges, pinnacles, walls, reefs, ect. Just like a topo land map, the closer the contour lines the more dramatic the depth change. They have code on them in helping identify bottom composition i.e. rocks, coral, mud, or sand. And with a good set of parallel rulers you can get your gps #'s off them. Find a chart of the area of Hawaii you want to explore and study the chart and make a list of good looking sites then go check them out. Some will be a waste of time but others might become your secret honeyhole for years to come. This is the way we approach bottom fishing and diving here:D

I understand ya Rig, it's just getting my hands on a chart that's proving to be difficult.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT