• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Where do I buy a custom suit from?

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

misterlizard

Tom Arnold
Oct 11, 2002
Hi,
I recently went diving with Pekka at Budleigh and Sidmouth in Devon. Annoyingly I had to get out early both times because I was getting cold too quickly in my 3/5mm surfing wetsuit and my bottom times were getting shorter and shorter :head
Pekka was toasty warm the whole time and I was jealous! He had his suit custom-made and said that somebody on Deeper Blue sorted it out for him. You see I'd like to buy one from the Deeper Blue store because they are at some really good prices but I don't want to end up with a suit that doesn't fit properly. Custom-made seems the best way to go, so does anybody know where I can get a suit made for me?
For British waters (around 9 degrees in winter to about 17 degrees in summer) what thickness should I buy? Is 5mm enough?
Tom :t

I tried a couple of wetsuits the other day (I was curious about whether a 5/3 surfing type wetsuit would cut the mustard).

Basically I started to get too cold after a very short time (and the sea temp is around 20/68 at the moment - Channel Islands-UK) and went back to a wet suit that I stole from my brother. This is a 5/7 with a zip across the chest rather than down the back, the fit is extremely snug and all the seams taped.

I find that there is nowhere for water to pool and with boots I don't actually get wet inside for about the first dive or so.

Personally I would try on as many suits as you can and then try to find the one that fits the snuggest. I think that 5/3 is too thin.

Good luck - Ed

definitely go for a custom eliossub suit. They dont cost more than $200 for a tailormade one, and are of excellent quality and fit. Good luck!

Erik

Thanks for your advice guys - I'll take a look at those websites.
And Ed, does your username mean that you live at Portinfer? I used to come over to Guernsey pretty much every year and my dad and I used to dive at Cobo and Grande Roque. I used to surf at Portinfer quite regularly. Anyway, thanks for the advice!
Cheers,
Tom.

Tom:
So far two people in our freediving club have tried Elios Sub and love the suits. Many of us had Cressi Comps and Super Comps prior to Elios Sub. Personally, I think my 5mm medium density Elios Sub (wiast high pants), is warmer than the Cressi Super Comp of 5mm farmer Johns and 6.5mm jacket. Maybe due to the custom fit of the Elios Sub. I would recommend nylon on the exterior, as that Heiwa neoprene is very fragile otherwise. I went with the gold coating on the inside. They know what they are talking about when they recommend putting the suit on with soap, or in the water. So be careful to heed this warning if you get one. I think you will be very pleased. At the time of my purchase (end of June), that configuration of suit cost 242 Euros, or 283 USD. I am an Elios Sub customer for life now!

Jim

Reactions: Jon
Ed,

I picked up a new Elios suit from spearo.co.uk about 4 weeks ago. 5mm smooth skin camo top and 5mm lycra covered bottoms. Very , very warm - a bit too much at the moment. ( its 20C in Jersey ). I would agree that it is probably better to get a nylon covered top - I haven't torn it yet, but I have been treating it very carefully.

Are you guys doing much spearfishing up in Guernsey - we pop over there quite a lot.....

Hi Tom - yes - I live pretty close to Portinfer now, a bit further around but it is a lovely plce. Anyway - glad you liked Cobo etc//
Hey daviesd - yes a bit of spearfishing but it has been like soup down there recently (yesterday we had about 3 or 4 foot vis.... the divers are hating it but I still go down - no scallops for them ...) - how about over in Jersey ?

...custom suit

Just tried my new Picasso Termic and I love it! fits well, very well-made, and keeps me toasty warm!
--- check 'em out! :D

I would also recommend Eliossub!

5mm works from 10-20 degrees for me and with an additional neoprene vest 2mm You can use it in 6-7 degrees to!

Last edited:
definitely call Blue Water Hunters and ask about the custom Deep Thought custom wetsuits. Their web site is www.bluewaterhunters.com and talk to Andy. Lots of options to choose from. My wet suit I purchased fits like a dream.

definitely call Blue Water Hunters and ask about the custom Deep Thought custom wetsuits. Their web site is www.bluewaterhunters.com and talk to Andy. Lots of options to choose from. My wet suit I purchased fits like a dream.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT