• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Where do you carry?

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

1 Tadpole

I'd rather play than work
Jul 27, 2002
Big or small, sharp or dull, where do you carry your knife and why?

Originally posted by ivan
Dont use one anymore
Then pray you never get tangled in your shooting line...:(

I carry mine, at all times, on the inside of my left leg. That way tangles are minimised and since I am right handed it is easy to access.

UK titanium drop-point.

Carry it on the outside of my right thigh. Kind of bulky (too much so to wear on the inside of my leg), but very sturdy and secure. I need this because I use my knife for prying more than slicing. My floatline rarely gets caught on it. Only once in a while when I hit the gas.

Ted

Miniature one with point, attached to weight belt. Not good for killing big fish, but it is ones less thing to put on.

Little sharp one on the left side of my belt buckle, shears for wire on the right side. I've never gotten tangled, but I like having an escape plan.

Standard Knife on right hip for spearfishing

Z-knife on left-front of belt for freediving

Back of left calf; accessible to both hands.

In my opinion, a knife is mandatory safety equipment, and it needs to be accessible to both hands because you never know which one might become tangled in monofilament line. Even in places where fishing is not permitted, I've seen the stuff floating in the depths.

My buddy once had to cut some line to surface after it got tangled around his leg - got tighter and tighter as he ascended - could have been a disaster without a knife. After that episode, I never dive without one.

Oh - and do yourself a favor - keep it razor sharp.

a $14 skeleton with the obligatory rust, inside of the right calf when I'm doing the SCUBA thing, with shears tucked in behind them and in a sleeve on the weight harness when I'm freediving as it puts the knife right where I need it when putting the hurt to dinner.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT