• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Where do you do statics (apart from the pool)?

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Where do you do statics (apart from the pool)?

• At home (sofa, bed, floor etc.)

Votes: 36 62.1%
  • At work/school/college/university

Votes: 10 17.2%
  • On trains, buses etc.

Votes: 8 13.8%
  • Outdoors

Votes: 9 15.5%
  • Anywhere

Votes: 17 29.3%
  • I only do statics in the pool

Votes: 5 8.6%

• Total voters
I'm just about to leave Koh Tao, Thailand, to go to Perth. I get to do statics on land, sea and air within 24 hours. Lucky me!

This reply by Michael had me laughing...
Quote:
Originally posted by Michael
I once did a static in the courtroom (I am an attorney) and the judge came in just before I was about to hit my target time, so I sat staring at my watch, while the judge repeated: "Mr. Antinori . . . MR. ANTINORI."

Delfino said:
This reply by Michael had me laughing...
Quote:
Originally posted by Michael
I once did a static in the courtroom (I am an attorney) and the judge came in just before I was about to hit my target time, so I sat staring at my watch, while the judge repeated: "Mr. Antinori . . . MR. ANTINORI."

I agree! What a classic. Remembering that post always brings a smile. :)

The more you practice these while awake, the more it becomes subconscious and will carry over into sleep. Your throat will not close, and you will not suffer from sleep apnea (unless you are one of the rare ones who sleep apnea is not structural).
are those the hands-free equalizing exercises?if not, what are they?? i don't want to learn them,lol. i really don't want to get sleep apena -- that'd be scary. so far breath holding hasn't changed me in any negative way( i don't think, lol) and would hate for something that i enjoy be truned into waking up in the middle of the night.

i normally just hold my breath when i'm done with hwk/classroom work and put my haed down as if i'm sleeping. maybe a few min. holds, but i'd say that full lung holds aren't the best.

static on the sea shore lying on sand early morning
static walking on sea shore
static at home alone
static while driving a car
static travelling by bus
static lying on surface sea water
static when a chatter box telling a long story (i do alot :d)

SEDATE said:
static while driving a car
:naughtyDon't do it!! I got taken to task for this a few months ago.
Where is Trux when you need him:friday

gman said:
:naughtyDon't do it!! I got taken to task for this a few months ago.

Gman - can you tell us what happened? I was wondering how people managed to do statics while driving...

Hope all's well. Cheers,

Actually nothing really happened bad. Trux and a few others got on me for doing this and pointed out how irresponsible it was. When you are new and can only hold for 60 seconds or so you can probably get away with it. But going further and longer you can get to the point where you lose serious focus, you get dizzy and perhaps Samba or BO. All of which are very bad for driving conditions. Now I do it at work (hoping my phone won't ring) or at lunch where I can pretty much hide in a corner and make weird heavy breathing noises all by myself :D

I also do Jozef's CO2 tables in the morning before work.

Good luck

gman said:
Now I do it at work (hoping my phone won't ring) or at lunch where I can pretty much hide in a corner and make weird heavy breathing noises all by myself :D

Guess 'driving' is 'diving' with an errant extra 'r'.
Funny about office statics.roflGman, glad all's well. Take good care.

I have to admit trying statics while driving long distances, on highway. Really boring and i thought what if i do some easy tables. It was okay for a little while but after 3-4 repeats, moving in the traffic started to be more difficult and keeping focus on the breathold was certainly taking the focus away from driving. I aborted the experiment and never tried it again. Static apnea is about being relaxed while driving is rarely a relaxing past time (even less in Turkey where i was driving at the time!).

I do now relatively often statics during "management retreats"! Some tips on how to get away with it without attracting any attention. First, make sure you have a pile of documents, printouts whatever in front of you - looks like you are taking notes and follow the discussions. Do not pack!!! :) You might get away with taking in the extra air but at the top of your time letting the air out quietly, i mean very quietly, aint gonna work. If you managed to attract attention, start caughing! Finally, if you really cannot stand that meeting any longer it's time for a max attempt with a BO finale, you will likely get a full day off :) (no, i didnt try this one out yet)

serge

I used to do them in the toilets at work sometimes, but that was necessary, more than practise!

i'm doing an empty lung now and and getting contractions. done now that was awesome i had to fix the word contractions during that before i'd let myself stop so i could write done. my first word was contractactions maybe with the the thought of action movie in my brain somewhere? intense for sure. i exhaled 2 or 3 times some more kinda like reverse packing.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT