• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Where have the fish gone?

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Swedish Jim

Sep 23, 2007
This Saturday I found wonderfully flat and clear water off Rooiels, Pringle and Hangklip. Of course, I saw lots of crays (now they come out to play!) :rcard But no fish! When I hopped in, I thought yippee and imagined having to haul out the big barrel braai, as it was so perfect. I first swam a lot then baited the water, threw sand, used a flasher, hid in the kelp...ziltch. :confused: Hardly a klippie and only one cat shark. Very spooky. Have any of you knowledgeable gentlemen seen where the pices population of False Bay have gone?

Last edited:
What? Are there GW's here in False Bay?....never! didnt see any of them either. (nor seals to pre-empt your response)

Wasn't me!!! I'm in lovely CANADA now, busy preparing to go catch some wall-eye........been told they are extremely tasty!! Our South African fish stocks DO need some time to recover!!:D:D:D

How-ever, lets not digress. Jim, the problem with the Rooi-els coast is three fold. Firstly, the South Easterly wind cleans the water up beautifully, but then also makes it ICE cold!! Secondly, most of the better reefs are pretty far off-shore. Those that are close to shore are how-ever not accesable from the land. Thirdly, from shore, be prepared to work in 20-30m of water.

Our best dives have always been in dirty water there. Not much fun, especially with the knowledge that Great White DO frequent the area!! Plenty of galgoen and red roman. We've also had good John Brown and bank steenbras, with the odd yellowtail during summer.

I don't know what the latest regulations is, but Hangklip has always been very good. Almost sure that its out of bounds now......

What fish are you specifically looking for?? I know a couple of spots that still hold good fish. Lemme know and i'll direct you to some spots......:D:D

Regards
miles

Reactions: Old Man Dave
Hi Miles,

Youre coming into a fantastic time of year in Canada I guess. Never been there but I used to get out as soon as the thaw came in Sweden and Norway. The free diving in the flooded rivers was great. Salmon Trout whitefish and fresh water crays etc. Otherwise put on fins, wetsuit, swimming glasses (not mask and snorkel) bicycle helmet and hop in for some white water (without the raft!). Just check out the rocks before taking the plunge. Im in Bloem today and you know how this place looks at this time of the year.

What you say fits the scenario regarding conditions in relation to fish. I generally like to be picky, ie I only select fish worth shooting for the pot and am generally happy with a Gallie, steenbrass or a decent hottie there. The water was very cold and clear. The wind had been blowing stong southerly for most of the week and had switched to SE a day before the dive. It was also High tide with a 2.5m swell (flattened off) if that makes a diff. On the otherhand with very similair conditions, ive seen fish coming out to the edge of the kelp as the high tide turns.

The crays were out running around of course! Im sure they know when its safe again.

Spearing is great there in the Dirty water, but as you correctly say there is that constant feeling of being checked out by GW's The locals think that anyone getting more than knee deep there is nuts. I only shore dive, depth isnt a problem but Im not so keen on crossing open water.

I like the area around the Hangklip Lighthouse and off the wooden slipway. The outside of Rooiels also generally gives me fish. Id be interested to hear from anyone what it like along the road between tidal pool to Rooiels. After climbing down there a few times, Ive not had much luck. Ive never seen ‘tail anywhere along the area.

Im always keen for new fishing grounds. Appreciated!

Hiya

Just make sure whether Hangklip is still dive-able. Legislature thats been passed fairly recently has closed off many area's for spearo's.....

If you're after Galgoen in False Bay, there's one spot GUARANTEED to give you fish!! Unfortunately for you, its a bit of a drive. My favourite shore diving spot is a place called PLATBANK, next to the famous ROOIKRANTZ at Cape Point. Very easy to get there. Simply drive along the N1, take the Baden Powell turn-off, carry on all the way to Muizenberg, then turn left. The sea will ALWAYS be on your left hand side. Continue until you get Cape Point. You have to pay to enter the gates. Rather buy a yearly green-card, which is a little bit more than a single entry ticket!!, but it allows you free access after buying it. Just ask them at the gate which green card (might be called a wild card now!) is most applicable for you. Once inside the reserve, drive all the way to the end. Park in the large parking lot. On your left there's a restuarant. Stand on the 'roof' and look down and to the left. Thats PLATBANK!! On the left of the restuarant roof, is a small trail that goes down the mountain. ENJOY the walk down!!:D:D

Once at the bottom, find a spot to jump in and start swimming to the LEFT. Working the shallow kelp beds, which are in 2-8m of water. You WILL get galgoen, actually they're normally in schools of 5-20+. Most are just size, but i've often seen 4kg+ MONSTERS in the thick kelp beds, in less than 2m of water. I've also shot big red steenbras here, lots of dassie/kolstert, john brown, hottentot, wildeperd and the odd red roman. If you're working the fringes of the kelp beds, then yellowtail is a good bet. I've taken quite a few here with my 90cm gun.

I learnt how to dive here!! AWESOME place. Dive-able in ANY weather and ANY sea state. Because of the long walk down the mountain, very few people dive here, which means good fish!!:D:D

Here's a few photo's taken of PLATBANK

Attachments

• a3.JPG
    a3.JPG
    76.8 KB · Views: 198
  • a4.JPG
    a4.JPG
    63 KB · Views: 191
  • t13.JPG
    t13.JPG
    64.4 KB · Views: 207
  • z1.JPG
    z1.JPG
    56.6 KB · Views: 206
This Saturday I found wonderfully flat and clear water off Rooiels, Pringle and Hangklip. Of course, I saw lots of crays (now they come out to play!) :rcard But no fish! When I hopped in, I thought yippee and imagined having to haul out the big barrel braai, as it was so perfect. I first swam a lot then baited the water, threw sand, used a flasher, hid in the kelp...ziltch. :confused: Hardly a klippie and only one cat shark. Very spooky. Have any of you knowledgeable gentlemen seen where the pices population of False Bay have gone?

hahaha check in Miles' freezer, im sure you will find plenty there rofl

I thought cape point was a nature and marine reserve. I always went to great lengths to get through there without letting them see my gun and gear.

Hiya

Cape Point has been a nature reserve, for as long as i can remember. How-ever, fishing and spearfishing has always been allowed.

Unfortunately, spearfishing from a boat in this area has now been banned, so as to control the abalone poaching. Spearing from shore is still permitted.

Certain area's in the reserve are no spearing or fishing zone. You also have to purchase a fishing permit when you enter the gates. This permit is needed if you're planning to bring back fish. You can be stopped and fined or even locked up if you're caught with-out a permit inside the reserve!! Just make sure at the gate where the no spearing/fishing zones are, as they've changed quite a bit. I do how-ever know that the Buffelbay, rooikrantz, platbank area as well as South West Reefs area is still spearable.

For the brave, South West reefs offers awesome spearing. Lots of yellowtail!! The odd yellowfin tuna, sometimes longfin(albacore), skipjack, galgoen, hottentot and the odd roman. It's also fairly common to get schools of geelbeck inside the kelp beds. I also know of one incident where a big marlin was seen here!!

Regards
miles

I was stopped off Hangklip (at the hotel where the bikers hangout) where they Nature conservation were really friendly. They checked for Crays and other off limits stuff. They saw my guns strapped very obviously on the roof and made no comment. There is no info published regarding spearing restrictions off the area that I hav been able to find. The limits talk about the Bettys bay area and westward from the Strand harbour. I will find out more. In in Durban today and am tyring to get wet in Park Rynie later on with the Tigers. How did it go with the fishing Miles?

Pauldeclerque..do you have a buddy?

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT