• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

where is Herbert?

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
To inform on the seriousness of the injury. I think we were kept in the dark for much too long, people started guessing, making rumours and all that. Somebody like Carlos at least came out straight away with the issues with his arm after his No Limits mishap.

But what ever ...

Yeah. Herbert is really rude for not fessing up to the media earlier. Our interest and entertainment should be the priority.

Genuinely amazed at this crap. The guy was near death and has been recovering from serious neurological damage. Will be for some years. The last thing he should be worrying about is satisfying the public's curiosity.

Come on, man, they didn't even announce that he underwent treatment to counter neural damage. He just dissappeared. And somebody from South Africa or something actually went to write about neural damage on Herbert's Wiki article, which at the time had no foundation in sources. It's ridiculous to leave people room for rumours and heresay.

I mean, guys like Herbert, and Carlos, Martin, Natalia, Alexey, William, Goran, Guillaume, who have you, you as well, you become part of the public forum when reaching such peak athletic levels. That means you are representational of the entire sportive community, and that carries a certain responsibility.

And at the same time as Herbert, a guy like Murat had announced that he's going extremely deep (not that he seemed to do anything, maybe he's just sucking sponsor money or something). But what if he had actually gone to the same depths as Herbert? Or someone else had, or is? Aparently something went wrong this time, and nobody outside the inner circles were being told anything? Now Herbert's even talking about an unprecedented mishap, blackout through nitrogen narcosis? These are elements which should be shared with the rest of the community as fast as possible. Fuck the press and other blood seekers, I'm concerned about ignorant freedivers who might also venture into this entirely new territory.

I don't want to be unfair or cruel, I have the utmost respect for Herbert for his athletic prowess, and I wasn't there to have to decide on such things, so all this is easy for me to say. But honestly I was reminded about the silence after Audrey.

Send him a letter, tell him how disappointed you are.

How can you be mad at me for being frustrated about being kept in the dark on such an important issue? I revere Herbert. I revere all of you, and maybe I take it too personal if somebody gets hurt, but even my personal attempt to stay informed aside, this was a high profile project, probably the highest possible in our game. And nothing comes out, leaving people free to go rampant with loose rumours. I hated those rumours, I deleted one of them from Wikipedia, all while having nothing solid to replace it with.

Analogies: Felix Baumgartner jumps down from 40km, but his suit leaks, and even if he lands safely, he suffers oxygen starvation and develops permanent vision impairment or something like that. And nobody says anything officially for months, while rumours flourish.

Again, don't want to be unfair or cruel, I wasn't there.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: kelp princess
i think every person's private live must remain private unless he decide otherwise...
as long as he didn't do something wrong and against the law or whatever, nobody can claim anything about Herbert
our frustrations are normal in such situations, but i think that untill we don't know all the legal implications and all the contract stipulations and confidentiality terms involved, we are entitled to nothing regarding herbert Private life...
let the man recover as he see fit and i-m shure that in the end, wee all wil be enlighten wit all the details....
this is that kind of situations in wich the both parts are right...but arguing wil not improve Herbert's condition...

This argument is the one spun out regularly about larger popular celebrities. They argue they deserve privacy and people say they are in the public domain. You can argue both ways depending on your point of view.

At the end of the day it is good he is coming out with the details but i'm sad and disappointed it has taken this long as in absence of information people make silly and naive assumptions.

Reactions: kelp princess
Very sad news and best wishes to Herbert for a speedy recovery.

As to the information, it was never a case of "no news is good news", but rather the reverse.

I do wonder why the secrecy? I have no obligations to a public but if I am unwell I don't feel the need to hide it from those that do care. Perhaps they were waiting until the medics were certain what had happened to avoid an inaccurate report? Perhaps the sponsors were waiting to assess how her recovered, but it's all just speculation.

I wonder if the events of the dive, described as un precedented, will affect Sebs work?

To keep things in perspective, he lost his career (pilot), his ability to enjoy his passion and the thing that he was "famous" for (multiple world depth records) and damn near almost lost his life.

He is still suffering physiological impacts and brain damage... So I'm willing to cut the guy some slack.

I'm sure it would take me some time to come to terms / grips with what I would be able to do or want to do with the rest of my life.

Not to mention that he's been busy with medical work ups, rehab and trying to salvage as much as possible... And not focused on the PR machine and other outside influences / distractions.

Here's to a continued recovery! May the healing be as impressive / amazing as the depths attained!

The one thing you're assuming in your comments is that he needs to worry about the PR himself. The reality is there was an assigned PR person, not to mention PR people from his sponsors, as well as a manager and other members of the team. Herbert (the man) shouldn't need to worry about that stuff, however Herbert (the brand and team) should be worry about that stuff.

i think every person's private live must remain private unless he decide otherwise...

Well it was a widely sponsored public event, not so sure it was private at all. I doubt It was Herbert decision to keep it private because he was really sick and because he has always shared details about his freediving. Unless we want to be naive it had a lot to do with sponsor taking this decision. Those are the real bloodsuckers around, spinning the good results hoping for good business while ready to hide and wait for the storm to calm down when things turn bad.

It is amazing that some people (not just here) think that Herbert's first cause of action should have been to do interviews before going into the hyperbaric chamber. Well that exaggerates it a bit, but it's one of the typical symptoms of our time.

Me personally I try to act according to "one persons freedom ends where an other persons freedom begins" so where do I take the liberty from of imposing my wish onto another person? I can pose the question but if I don't get an answer that needs to be ok with me.

And in the end he answered all the questions. Was it too late? Why would it be? Was any life at stake just due to him not telling the world? In fact only one life was at stake and that was Herbert's and not just during the dive but also in the weeks after according to his interview in the Red Bulletin. It seems that he needed time to recover and come to grips with this new situation. Without any outside pressure. Something, that as far as I can judge it from my comfy chair, was one of the key factors in why this accident even happened.

One thing I learned as a freediver is patience. You can't force things to happen. You have to wait, breathe and relax. That so far has been proven to be efficient and it's something you experience little in our fast paced world.

I for one am happy that he has survived it and seems to be recovering so well. I admire him for being able to overcome his demons and telling the world about them.

You misread my post - it's a common misconception that these athletes do the whole event by themselves. I've been to many an event and they are surrounded by team members and managers. I'm not suggesting that the athlete do the interview or give info but that the machinery around the athlete gives the right info out. I was in regular contact with Herbert's team after the event and they specifically gave zero info on his condition not because they didn't know but because they were instructed to.

Stephen,

Any idea where that "instruction" came from? sponsers?, team manager?, or ? I agree its unlikely to have come from Herbert, he was in no condition.

It is amazing that some people (not just here) think that Herbert's first cause of action should have been to do interviews before going into the hyperbaric chamber.

No one was asking a seriously injured freediving God to delay his treatment in order to join a press conference regarding the situation. Nor anyone with a normal imagination would believe he was in any condition to dictate the media management approach. Once these two points are cleared can you accept the simple fact some of us felt the situation could have been dealt with a bit more honesty and openness regarding the facts? Are we supposed to be merely admiring our heroes when succeeding or do we have the right to be aware of the situation, with a decent and privacy aware number of details, even when thing go wrong ?

Any idea where that "instruction" came from? sponsers?, team manager?, or ? I agree its unlikely to have come from Herbert, he was in no condition.
No idea - however it is not unusual for the PR team or sponsors to require a shutdown of information until a reasonable statement can be provided.

Is the dive profile available?

Does anyone know if the EqEx or coke bottle was used, and if so at what depth?

Christian,

I find your comments naive and self-centered. Herbert doesn't owe the world, AIDA, or anyone anything, nada, not a damn thing! You're like a speculator looking to get to some truth that doesn't actually exist. You make demands and in your frustration you cast derisions like they were confetti.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT