• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Where is this "sport" going anyway!!!!!!

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

PoseidonSv

Aquaholic
Jan 2, 2004
How can it be allowed to breath oxygene before doing and freediving record attempts?

How the hell can this be acceptable!!!!!!!

Saw pictures from this competition in greece and guess what the guy is laying there breathing pure O2 from a big bottle with a regulator!!!!!

This is a joke!

It's forbidden to breath oxygen before an attempt by AIDA rules. Are you sure it was before? Because some people breath oxygen after their deep dive to be sure they don't get the bends...

PoseidonSv,

Are you sure you are not looking at pictures of someone being treated AFTER a blackout?

It's quite standard now to breath oxygen after a deept dive - BO or not. It is not allowed before a dive.

Hi there,

We have NEVER allowed anyone to breath O2 BEFORE an attempt. And we are the only ones who have organized freediving competitions in Greece. Maybe this is a picture of someone after a record attempt (very deep dive) or a hypoxia.

Panos Lianos
AIDA Hellas
Athens, Greece

using O2 before a performance

Speaking of breathing O2 before an attempt, I am O2 certified and have a Dan O2 kit. With hearing how people were able to really extend there times static times in studies using O2 before the static, I decided to try it in dynamic. My reasoning was that maybe it would help me get used to going a distance beyond my normal best, such as in the number of turns and time of dive, so that when I attempted it without the O2 it would come more naturally.

After readings some studies where this principle was successfully applied to world-class cyclists and other athletes I was quiet certain it would work. I breathed up for about 5 minutes on the side of the pool and dropped in and went. To my utter disappointment, I wasn’t even able to do my normal distance. I’ve never tried it again.
don

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT