• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Where to live and dive in Kreta

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Kampfchilli

Sep 24, 2017
Hello all! I am 29 years old finishing my master's. I would like to take a 2 or 3 week trip to Kreta, my budget is around 500-600 euros. I don't mind sleeping in a tent or shared bedroom in hostels.

What I would like to ask is if anyone knows the island a little and can tell me where to look for accommodation or to which airport I should fly. I am fully vaccinated btw. The good diving and spearfishing place should be close. I only have experience on Milos.

thank you all!

Всем привет! Мне 29 лет, заканчиваю магистратуру. Я хотел бы съездить на Крету на 2 или 3 недели, мой бюджет составляет около 500-600 евро. Я не против ночевать в палатке или в общей спальне в хостелах.

Я хотел бы спросить, знает ли кто-нибудь остров немного и может ли мне сказать, где искать жилье или в какой аэропорт мне следует лететь. Кстати, я полностью вакцинирован. Хорошее место для дайвинга и подводной охоты должно быть поблизости. У меня есть опыт только на Милоше.

Спасибо вам всем!

Hello all! I am 29 years old finishing my master's. I would like to take a 2 or 3 week trip to Kreta, my budget is around 500-600 euros. I don't mind sleeping in a tent or shared bedroom in hostels.

What I would like to ask is if anyone knows the island a little and can tell me where to look for accommodation or to which airport I should fly. I am fully vaccinated btw. The good diving and spearfishing place should be close. I only have experience on Milos.

thank you all!
Hey!
I think it makes sense to choose the southern coast of Crete, it is less populated and good depth starts close to the coast. Look for accommodation in the area of Plakias, Chora Sfakion, Matala.

For freediving the south coast of Crete is quite good imho, although also a bit challenging. If depth is what you're looking for, south of Kali Limenes it's more than a kilometer deep at a few hundred meters from the shore. I mention Kali Limenes, but most of the Cretan south coast is like this. It really goes to infinite blue at a few meters from the shore. The only shallow part of the south is the bay of Messara.

There's always wind and waves. It's never calm. With waves I mean 50cm or more.

If spearfishing is the goal, you'll feel like Clint Eastwood as you lay on the bottom and the only thing moving is an aquatic tumbleweed.

But it's my home and it's beautiful. :)

Last edited:
DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT