• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

where to wear your knife

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Brian Hamilton

Subsea Sniper
Jun 15, 2003
I am waiting for a Scubapro K4 knife to arrive in the post and would like to know where you guys wear your knife to allow for quick access to unleash a killing blow to a struggling fish or for cutting line.

I have been given conflicting advice, some people wear it on the arm to allow a quick draw to take out a fish but others advise against this in case the hand that draws the knife becomes entangled in a line or netting.

Where do you guys wear yours?

Brian

one on the arm(upper) and one on the leg, plus a pair of sea snips on the belt. Bear in mind I am shooting ss cable as my shooting line for rig hunting....

yeah, but where's the can opener?

Being right handed and all, I have my knife pockets built oversize to accomodate both the knife and a pair of snips or dykes on the inside of my left calf. This has proven to be a foulproof location for both line and kelp.

Re: yeah, but where's the can opener?

Originally posted by icarus pacific
Being right handed and all, I have my "knife" built oversize to accomodate a pair of dikes on the inside of my left calf. This has proven to be a foulproof location for both my satisfaction and theirs

Wow, that is overbuilt! Nothing like a good pair of cute dikes inside your calves.:p

Re: Re: yeah, but where's the can opener?

Originally posted by rigdvr
Nothing like a good pair of cute dikes inside your calves.:p

Or a pair of horny lesbians, either. :p

I'm right handed and I wear mine (a Riffe Stubby) on the inside of my left thigh (more towards the front). It's orientation is with the handle pointing down towards my foot (more hydrodynamic and less likely to catch on kelp. I'm not the most limber guy or I'd wear it on my calf; but it's closer and easier to reach when it's strapped to the inside of my thigh. It's not the most secure location because the upper leg narrows from the top downward, so if I'm getting thrashed around in the surf whilst making an un-Sven-like (not smooth;) ) entry through the surf zone it might slide down a little but I hav'nt lost one yet and it's just one more reason to get to calm water faster and smoother.

BTW: I hope I didn't just spoil a good bull-dyke thread! :D

Last edited:
i put it on my belt. This way you can use it with both hands:cool:

My knifes are in leg and arm. I also keep little hook knife (mostly used with skydiving gear) with me just in case, I learned it's pretty handy thing in fast situations. Pocket for hook knife is easy to attach almost anywhere with elastic band. I try to attach picture in this post...

Those hook knives look like handy kit, Ive seen the Airport fire crews use them on drills, also a variation on them with a more normal shaped knife with a curved blade and a metal disk instead of a point. Didnt think of the use in the water but now you mention it :)

Reactions: Pastor
I checked out the link cop put into the thread. The hook looks like the ones you can get from Scuba Store designed for underwater use. I ordered the K-4 because I need a sharp point to take out fish but also like the netcutter built into the blade as I have a paranoid fear of gettin myself entangled in fishing line whilst underwater.

Hopefully the K-4 will offer the best of both worlds.

By the way, thanks for all the replies.

Brian

The big plus for hook knife is that you can slash around without beeing afraid to wound yourself. It's different with normal knife integrated cutter.

I know that near panic you grab to nearest help but IMO; If you keep your tools always in same places and prepair to use them like; "entagled - hook knife - slash - slash until you are free"... You are pretty safe and ready.

I have seen few divers who put their knifes to leg today, to another leg tomorrow and somewhere else day after tomorrow... What do you think; do they find that knife when panic comes?

In some other hobby I have learned KISS-thinking;

K: Keep
I: It
S: Simple
S: Stupid

... and it's one of the best things I've ever learned!

And; if there is too much things to worry about, it's SNAFU;

S: Situation
N: Normal
A: All¨
F: ******
U: Up

:naughty no swearing

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey Murat, how's it goin? What happens when you drop your belt because you are tangled in a line? Just remember to draw the blade first! For me it gotta be the calf, accessable with either hand, cutting line is what it should be set up to do because survival should always be #1 priority.

Wearing knife on the calf is hassle...Especially if you are using floatline connected to the gun's butt. You better to try arm instead.

I use a floatline, and by wearing the knife on the inside of the calf, you avoid tangles. :cool:

The arm position for a knife poses the problem of what to do if its your non-knife arm that is tangled and being ripped to shreds by a big fish.

Originally posted by Shadowkiller
I use a floatline, and by wearing the knife on the inside of the calf, you avoid tangles. :cool:

I also tried that but somehow its keeping tangled, sometimes floatline pass through the legs:hmm I dunno may its just my floatline likes too much to tangle around me:)

Originally posted by Shadowkiller

The arm position for a knife poses the problem of what to do if its your non-knife arm that is tangled and being ripped to shreds by a big fish.

Thats a good point....

Hiya

I wear mine on the outside of my right calf. Using a slim knife, like my omer flat hunt or the flat picasso tigre, in a slim streamlined pouch, you'll have no problems with your floatline catching onto your knife of it getting tangled up in the kelp.

Regarding a big fish thrashing around in your knife-hand is simply not proper planing. I normally grab a big yellowtail at the base of his tail with my right hand. This is my knife hand as well as my strongest hand. once i've got a proper grip, i then slide my left hand into the fish's gills and grip him firmly. I now withdrawn my knife or ikijimi with my right hand and despatch of my catch. This way, you'll never have a fish in the knife hand.

Attachments

• knives2.jpg
    knives2.jpg
    234.2 KB · Views: 315
better advise: Get used to both hand and carry double knife:cool: You will look like RAMBO! ! !

Hey Guys,

I followed Icarus Pacifics advice and wore my knife on the inside of my right calf (being left handed) and it worked really well.

Seeing as I am a completed newbie to spearfishing I had loads of line entangled around my body but not once did it get hooked up on my knife (which is not what you would call low profile).

The knife is also well out of the way and my other leg doesn't hit into the knife.

Thanks, Brian

Having been entangled underwater. I view a sharp, quality knife as being the most under-rated pieces of safety equipment. I wear mine, a U.S. Divers Master Knife, on the inside of my left calf. It's a little big just for killing fish, though. #1 (11 yr. old son) has a better set up than me with a square tip, for prying, titanium knife on the inside of one calf and a smaller sharp pointed kill knife on the opposite forearm.:)

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT