• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Where to work as medical student during clerkship and train for comps

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

apnoebasilisk

May 25, 2008
Hey guys
I'm a medical student and thinking of doing part of my practical year abroad. Could you guys tell me what would be good destinations to train and work in a hospital at the same time in Europe/The World.
I have enquired at Clinic at the town next to dean's blue hole, I'm also checking Dahab hospital in eagypt.
But that is real difficult, and a bit unrealistic to organise. :)
What kind of place I'm looking for:
Place with good freedivers, regular training, access to depth, Located at the seaside.
And of course a hospital near by.

I do speak English,German,French,Polish

Best regards from Switzerland

For your information, the clinic near Deans Blue Hole is about 10-15 minutes away, up the hill at Deadman’s Cay. I checked it out in preparation for medical coverage at AIDA 2009. It is a small wooden cottage-type clinic run by one doctor on the island, who is not always there, and a few nurses. It is very basic. The emergency room is literally a single room with two small alcoves for patients. There is little more than an old ECG machine, a defibrillator in a tool box, some basic supplies, and a small pharmacy across the hall. There are no xrays because the xray machine is broken and stored in a closet. There are two overnight beds with a large oxygen tank each. It also has a birthing room with antiquated equipment, and a dentist chair. The building is very clean and the people are very nice, but overall it is quite primitive. It was not busy at all when I visited. To my knowledge, there is no ambulance service on Long Island. There is an old rusted ambulance with flat tires abandoned in the grass behind the building. Anyone with serious illness must wait for an air ambulance to be called from Nassau. There is also a walk-in health clinic at the north end of the island next to the Stella Maris marina, but it is even smaller. The freediving is fantastic, but your medical experience would likely be very limited. John Fitz-Clarke, MD

That´s a great advice from a MD... Hope you could suggest another freediving spot to our swiss friend here with a good clinic near. It´ll be a fantastic experience.

Thanks Fritz Clarke
Yeah I'm condidering that. I'm aware of the negative aspects of it, however I do quite well on my exams normally, so I can live with very suboptimal education for two or one month. But as you said the freediving is superb and I might be working in very good clinics in Zurich Sui or Wellington NZ the rest of the time. So I have to sell it to my Master administrator, and be selective about the information I would give her.
Also If I would come during Vertical Blue I might be able to help them out as a medic. Do you have an idea what qualifications I would need for doing that. I obviously do have medical training but is there anything specific I would need to learn and whom would I need to contact to know about it?
I'm going to drasticaly increase my training next season so I have to plan my year in a way that I get into peak condition in September 2013 while working long ours. In Zurich education and training is great, but I doubt that they let me go for trainig often. I'm trying to organise going to NZ in their summer to train there as well. And then I will have my last vacation before the final year. But I'm just planing everything and It's quite possible that it will not work out.... Too many unknowns. :=(

Thanks a lot guys

biomedstudent said:
Hi, I'm a student at the University of the West of Scotland. Majoring in Biomedical Science, as I've finished my academic year and passed all the customwritingz pre-tests and exams, I've some time for my freediving hobby and I'm looking for summer clubs and freediving training centers in Scotland. Any recommendations?
Thanks,
Caelan

Hi Caelan,
Consider the Apneists UK club (freediving education and sport) - they have organized Scottish Freediving Club last year, if I'm not mistaken. You may also check this thread as well:

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT