• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Where, when and how.

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Clark.

Dec 25, 2012
Hey so I have some questions and thought this would be the best place to start.

I live in Southampton and am new to spearfishing. I have been spearfishing before in Plymouth but could find nothing but wrass, nothing edible. I've been twice to the same place and one time it was clear water could see for 10m I would say and then the second time I couldn't see a metre in front of me so I was wondering if there's any tricks of the trade for what to look for it tide times or something for clarity of water or best hours to fish,best months of the year ec.

I am willing to travel anywhere on the south coast but am really looking for a good spearing site to turn up on and have a good day or few hours spearing where it would be fairly clear and a good chance of finding some edible fish so if you can help me that would be great cheers!

Hi Clark,
I too would be interested in hearing more about what there is around Soton (& Portmouth and Hampshire in general) . This time of year is usually pretty barren. I would say best time is August-October for UK. July-Nov should be pretty good too. Worst period: Jan/Feb/early March perhaps? Yes, it is not uncommon to see only Wrasse :D

Visibility greater than the length of your speargun is generally required but very clear conditions can be a mixed blessing: yes you can see the fish but they can see you too.

Dorset, south (& perhaps east) Devon and Cornwall all offer numerous good locations. In South Wales, the Gower peninsula (watch out for the huge tidal flows) & Pembroke likewise. N. Wales seems popular too. Sussex has a spearfishing club; Bognor Regis has a reef about a quarter mile offshore I believe.

I'll put a link to this thread in the UK regional area of the forum, see if we can find somebody down your way to help out. I know for sure that we have at least one member in Soton.

BTW are you a student?

Last edited:
Hi Clark,
I too would be interested in hearing more about what there is around Soton (& Portmouth and Hampshire in general) . This time of year is usually pretty barren. I would say best time is August-October for UK. July-Nov should be pretty good too. Worst period: Jan/Feb/early March perhaps? Yes, it is not uncommon to see only Wrasse :D

Visibility greater than the length of your speargun is generally required but very clear conditions can be a mixed blessing: yes you can see the fish but they can see you too.

Dorset, south (& perhaps east) Devon and Cornwall all offer numerous good locations. In South Wales, the Gower peninsula (watch out for the huge tidal flows) & Pembroke likewise. N. Wales seems popular too. Sussex has a spearfishing club; Bognor Regis has a reef about a quarter mile offshore I believe.

I'll put a link to this thread in the UK regional area of the forum, see if we can find somebody down your way to help out. I know for sure that we have at least one member in Soton.

BTW are you a student?

Thanks for the reply.

Thanks for posting in other places i could do with the help. I have been thinking about taking a trip to Devon as it's not to far away, just looking for exact places so I'm not doing stupid things and going somewhere that's going to wash me out to sea or they know there's not going to be any fish there.

No not a student any reason that would help? Have they got a club?

Not that I know of. My son is a student at the Uni, so I get down there regularly.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT