• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Which direction to face when ambushing?

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Homerkp

Sep 21, 2018
I was wondering, what criteria do you use for the direction you face in when waiting in ambush? I fish in the mediterranean and I know to try and hide, I know the areas where different types of fish are, and I know it's better to have the sun behind me. I'm still new to this though, and a lot of times I'm making those throat sounds and after seeing nothing ahead I turn around to see all the little fish gathering behind me. Other times the direction I face costs me, like today when a gilt-headed bream came from behind me and I never had a shot.

First I reasoned that I should face against the current since fish will be cruising down, and maybe won't hear me as well, making it easier to go undetected. Then I tried facing down current thinking the fish must hear the throat sounds carried by the current. I've tried both but each time I seem to luck out. What seems the best indicator though is to camp at a spot facing a group of chromis chromis (little black fish). I'm sure others know how much they react to nearby predators. I don't know from which side to face them though. Always towards the deep? I have had some luck in spotting bigger breams when facing the deep, especially if I was unnoticed going down. Other times I would see them coming from a direction parallel the shore.

I live in a place without rocks. This is why I can't find convenient spots that keep me entirely hidden. It's like a gamble on different patches of Poseidon grass. There are a few ledges and mounds of vegetation, but it's still a matter of picking a side to camp on, because I will always be partially exposed.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT