• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Which JBL for the new guy?

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Lucaso

Jul 20, 2007
Well, I've made my peace with the purchase of a budget speargun for now. However, due to some nice sale prices, I'm facing a choice between several JBL guns, the Mini Carbine, the Carbine, and the Super Carbine. What would be most appropriate for panfish in small lakes that range from weedy/mucky/poor vis. to somewhat weedy/sandy/good vis.? Thanks again for the help, folks.

You know what? Disregard my choice of JBL. I just noticed another thread on here that lists all the problems folks have had with JBL. Instead, feel free to comment on the best gun of any brand (sub-$100 please) for the situation I've listed. Thanks.

For under $100 I would get a good polespear (what I use in the fresh)

give Jimdoe2you a PM, he sells the kind I use.

Thanks for the recommendation. Just for the sake of having options, are there any <$100 speargun options you find reliable enough for an intro to UW hunting?

Yidaki,

I'm the only one importing Beuchat (kinda, but I can't discuss it) and I am not importing any of the cheap guns. Sub $100 guns just aren't a good value. For 50% more money, you can get a 250% better gun!

As I said to someone just earlier today, "You can find the sub $100 speargun in the diveshop next to the restraunt with the sub $4 steak dinner".

My strong suggestion for Lucaso is to look for a quality gun. Maybe if he is lucky ;) and acts quickly ;) someone with a big heart ;) for people getting their first speargun ;) will offer him a HUGE discount ;) on a quality gun ;) for a little bit more ;) ;) ;) .

Jim "Giver of Hints" Doe

:)

Last edited:
Yeah Jim, some people in miami area is selling beuchat too (I don't how they are getting, that is not the point though),. but are we talking about for better gun %50more money on Beuchat guns or other brands like cressi or sporasub etc.. ?
I thought Beuchat' quality guns are more money, as a result, for sub 100$ u get nothing quality that's for sure, like you said with more money better investment is the right thing to do..
BTW, my first gun was Arka 100 and it wasn't bad at all for beginning..:)
Cheers,

Yidaki,

I know who you're taking about and Ulises has been a Beuchat authorized dealer but he's really not stocking any product. For instance they don't have any Beuchats wetsuits, fins, or guns in stock. Ulises only has two masks, a muzzle, and a handle.

The good news is that I just got my distributor pricing and had spoken to Ulises at the expo in june about supplying him with Beuchat.

Jim

Yeap, that's him(Suarez) also that place in west sunrise has Beuchat guns too.. Also, they started to put stuff on e-bay.
Btw, congrats on your business man,:friday I was kinda off from net for a long time and now trying to catch posts:)
Cheers,

Thank you!

Yes, I forgot there is a place called 123***** that took all the leftover inventory from Cochran a few months ago when Cochran ceased being the Beuchat distributor.

Cheap guns are out there and I'd be a fool to say they have no reason to exist in the market, but IMHO an educated consumer will try to focus not just on price, but value as well.

I hope Lucaso will really learn about the different guns out there and make sure he is comfortable with his first buying decision.

Much happiness,
Jim

Well guys, here's my speargun purchase update (not that anyone necessarily cares). I decided that my newbness makes it ok to go with the JBL. Anyway, I scored a sweet deal on a price match at leisurepro.com (check it out), and I'm the proud new owner of the JBL Carbine. Anyway, pictures are sure to come of my many panfish/white sucker exploits. Thanks again for the advice, guys.

Lucaso

Reactions: covert
all i can say speargun is theeee most important item while SPEARfishing so dont skimp, go with the best you can afford. Im not going to mention brands most people on this site know where my loylties lie............

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT