• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Which speargun for me?

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Chase Jackson

Apr 20, 2017
Hello I'm a certified scuba diver and I also hunt on scuba but I use a polespear that I started with and I'm looking into getting a speargun I have my own boat so I'm not doing any beachdives but here are my normal conditions I dive in and I'd like it to be wood and around the $200 price range.

60 foot or more visibility
80 degree water
Around 40-90 feet deep
0-2 foot waves

Hi Chase, I expect forum members will be able to help you, although the vast majority here spear while freediving (e.g. with snorkel) rather than SCUBA - it's cheaper, simpler - there are some that do SCUBA or both. Some will argue that snorkel is "more sporting" but that ain't necessarily so, others that it is more effective (less noise & flapping about). Daryl Wong's handmade spearguns are rated highly by staff member Bill McIntyre, out in California but $200 might not be enough - but, as you have a boat & SCUBA gear, perhaps worth considering? Tommy Botha in S. Africa makes big game woodies now. Forum member SettingSteel is down your way(Florida) and makes custom spearguns -- well worth checking out -- he'll know your conditions better than most.

Other options for wooden spearguns: Riffe, A.B. Biller, etc. If interested in those - search the forum to find what has been written before.

If you are serious about the $200 limit you might be better off considering non-wooden options, such as a South African style railgun (e.g. Mako, Rob Allen, Hammerhead, Rabitech, Orcas) or one of the bigger, tougher Euro-style spearguns (e.g. Omer, Beuchat, Seatec, C4, Cressi, etc.).

For what it is worth, if I were you, I would leave the SCUBA gear on the boat and buy an Omer Zoom snorkel & the best Mako railgun I could get for £200. Probably quite a long railgun (100cm+ barrel perhaps much longer) if you have the gin clear waters we see on TV. And save up for something by SettingSteel - but perhaps $200 is enough?

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT