• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Which steel tanks

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

JoiseyWreckster

Jan 15, 2005
I'm looking at getting out of my dbl aluminun 80 setup and buying some steel tanks. What's the best (Lp or Hp), the common size for deep wreck diving and any preferences of brand. Also does anybody know of a company other then OMS that makes a bottom timer? Just a basic no frills timer. Thanks all.

Kind of a broad question, why are you moving to steels? more gas, diving dry, geting into cave? PST is always my favorite because of the galvanized finish you dont find on the Fabers. But it really rests on what you are going to use them for. With those answers I or any one else can give you a better answer. You will get better response to your question if you go on DecoStop forum.

Check ScubaPro/Uwetech they also make (made?) as simple bt, they made it for OMS for a time, if not still do.

John

Sorry John, I should have been more specific. I'll be getting into some more tech diving off of New Jersey. I want the purchase I make now to be able to handle the dives I plan on making in the future (+130 ft). I'm looking for opinions on Lp versus Hp steel tanks. Are the Hp tanks too rough on equipment? Is there really that big a difference with mixing gasses in each type tank? and is the extra bulk of a Lp tank worth it? I'm leaning towards a dbl 120 Hp steel setup for my primary tanks. Any advice??

1st, the new hp steels are less than 3500 psi (I think 3350), so the pressure should be no problem on the equipment when you figure that most of us pump our Alum 80’s to that. The benefit to the lp steels is that any boat compressor can giver you a perfect fill. Also over filling the lp’s gives you substantially more gas, where as with the hp’s you really cant overfill them (remember, you should never over fill tanks, very very bad!).

2nd, my question would be, why do you need all that gas? My double 80’s have provided me will plenty of gas on all the dives I have done down to 260’. But double 120’s will be more than enough for anything to 300’ +!! My preference, if choosing steels, would be for the LP’s for the above reasons. Just make sure that you can swim the rig in the event of a buoyancy failure, and more important, how much air you need in the wing to keep you neutral throughout the dive, the more air the greater drag. By the end of my dive my wing is nearly empty. Good luck.

I use a uwatec bottom timer. I cut off the rubber bracelet style strap and installed bungee cord intead for ease of donning and doffing. It's water-activated (around 3' of depth) and includes a non-noisy reminder about ascent rates. It also logs the max depth and time of your last 10 dives.

Jon A,said it all in anut shell! Be able to swim up your rig or you could end turtle up!!
Low Pressure, high end regs for all that extra gas(hp). I use double disc 100 AL to 3800 on wilksbarre.@ 250on short runs.Depends on how comfortable you are and how good your gear is and your confidence level. Also correct breathing helps.
Thank You......Capt. Tom

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT