• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Which time of the tide is best

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

jpp

Jul 12, 2011
I am intrigued as to what every one thinks is the best state of the tide to spear in. I used to go from mid to high tide but recently have changed to low to mid tide.
I am really interested to what time every one else prefers.

Hi JPP
I think different states for different spots. Dead low is good as the fish sit in the holes waiting for action to happen and because there is less water they are easier to find and get down to. Low to mid is good at a small river mouth as here fish group up ready to push up river when the water is high enough. High is good fish rocks close in and further out if you drift dive. This is lovely when you have boat cover, you drift and your mate picks you up and powers you back up! Dropping is good when fish are drawn off the beach towards the hols and caves. My 2p worth.
Tribs
Out

Thanks Tribbs, it will be interesting to see what every one else thinks but a comprehensive reply and I see your thought process.

This is something ive wondered about (from multiple dives with no fish seen) From my limited experience I prefer mid to high, but must be lots of variables

I've found mid to high the fish are moving more and easier to spot and you don't have to worry about rip tides as much

I always used to do mid to high but have had quite a bit of success lately on low to mid. At night I had success on the ebbing tide to.

Something else to consider apart from tide is the direction and flow of the current .. I used to see them as the same thing.. ie if the tide is coming in the current must be moving in one direction and when going out in another... however, as we mostly spearfish close to the shore the current is often different to what is happening even 400 yards off the shore.

For the Dorset spearos there is a great book called 'Tidal Streams Between Portland Bill and St. Alban's Head' by Peter Bruce. It shows the very close inshore currents (including those near 'Worth').. the speed and direction can be very different to the main current (which tidal diamonds mark) further out. E.g. where there is a strong current offshore a bit, there can be an eddy closer inshore.

I found one of these today and it was a reminder to not just rely on a chart's current data. I'm mentioning this here as at some venues there may be more at play than whether it's low or high tide, it could be the speed and direction of current which brings in the fish.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT