• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Which would you Choose

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
if its double band then i would choose abellan denteon.

If it will be single band i choose pelagos 100.

If it should be the cost effectice i choose seatec gabby 110 or 100

Seatec and Giman are very well built but they definately don't fall in the "cannon" category as they are mainly one band guns due to their reduced mass.
Totem, Teak-Sea and Abellan are all awesome guns and you can't go wrong with them.
However I think that Teak is the only one made entirely out of laminated teak and that is definately a big + IMO.

Ps My opinion though is a bit biased as Teak-Sea guns are built in Greece. :cool:

Last edited:
Based on aesthetics alone I’d lean toward the Teak Sea, that gun is just beautiful! :cool:
So which one of you has a price sheet??? :wave

If I was closer to cleaner water I wouldnt be torturing myself like this... :duh ..dang!

Anthony

if money was no problem, I'd buy them all and give to poor people like me. So if any millionaire read this message, here i am waiting for your kind gift...God bless you.

Meanwhile, technical news from italy: notice that the latest gimansub are no more single band: they recently developed a very simple system called "double giman" to add an additional couple of euroslings to the circular: it's just a sort of pin that pierces the barrel and holds an "inverted" wishbone, to which the rubbers are attached with dyneema. Strange, but true. maybe they considered this better than a second circular, due to the very slim muzzle section.

Hamrrhed

They're all good guns with many models to choose from. The choice depends on what and where you'd be shooting :duh Anyway, I recently got a TeakSea Azimuth 120. Basically a beefed-up 115, for tropical freeswimming fish of 30 lbs plus, maybe even tuna, if the latter gives me a good shot angle (yeah, right...). It's expensive compared to US wooden guns, though.

If you're in the market for a high-quality wooden gun with European concept, and you're willing to pay for it, check the limited edition Master America, from Omer US. It's a masterpiece and easier to get in States.

Ted
Rio

I would go with the teak-sea, they are so light and well build, but beware the reel that comes with it is not that good, I am looking into attaching a RA reel to it.
I am Alaska, I had no problems getting my teak-sea up here. In fact I am planning on getting another on next year.
The teak-sea handle is great, better then the Alexander which I think is very slippery and little short.
Also make sure you have the sizes correctly , teak-sea measures from the last band hole to the trigger system. For Florida, you should get a 115 or 120.
They can take riffe shaft but the original shaft has a round end like the euro guns.
Like galadion mention they are 100% teak, less to worry about since other woods may stain when place in the water.

All,

I think that maybe I wasnt very clear in my original post, I already have a full selection of guns, RA, RIffe, Yohooji, Wong... I was more looking for feed back from owners of the above mentioned guns. Not so much recommendations. Thank you though.

When I cant get in the water, I like to peruse the net for different and or interesting dive gear, specifically spearguns.

Ted Budion,

I’m really wrestling over the Master America, such a nice stock, but you still end up with a euro handle/mech...It makes me wonder :hmm

How about those Jedi's.

Heres a pic of my last outing with my 110 Aimrite, which by the way Strangelove is turning out to be a very nice length for the Tampa area :)

Anthony

Attachments

• db.JPG
    db.JPG
    84.2 KB · Views: 226
Last edited:
A 110 woody...?

Totemsub Tahiti 110cm:
Looks nice - nice shape and good handle, a squarer stock than the Pelagos and double bands.
Mahoghany and aesthetically nice - the fittings are really good apart from the reel but that is just me :)

Teak-Sea - Azimuth 115cm
Very similar to the Totems I guess, just a different material - teak.
The handle on the totem is nicer in my opinion.

Seatec Albatross 110
It has a plastic handle so I would not buy it. Too much of an aesthete, sorry...

Gimansub Dentex 110 or 'Double 110'
I think this would make it near the top of my list - I like the shape and think the handles are nice - a mate of mine has a Labrax 80 and it is very well made and looks fantastic - also he has a Pelagos 100 and almost prefers the 80 saying that is has good accuracy and range. So going by that I would say that either the Dentex 110 or the Double 110 would make a nice stocking filler for Christmas :) so Ivan if you are listening ....

Abellansub Denton 106
Looks really nice and I think that I would buy this as I think that the design is good. Maybe the handle is a bit clumsy and the join is not as aethetic as the Giman handle joins but I like the 'mass' of the gun and according to Memo it has very good punch and accuracy with double bands and a 7mm spear ripping off two wraps and then some reel line too. And with minimal recoil due to the mass.

So I would buy a Abellan Denton 106 or a Giman Dentex 110...

But that's just me - in reality it would be a Abellan Denton 92 probably.

Ed

As fas as I know, Teak-Sea Azimuths are beef-up models to be used with 3 x 5/8 or 3 x 9/16 bands and 7mm shafts minimum. They don't compare with mos Totems and other Italian models. However, Teak-Sea Pal and a new model they're coming out now are lighter.

According to one of Teak-Sea guys, Angelo Germidis, the Azimuth 115 was originally designed to shoot spooky, bigger and strong Med species, sometimes in extremely deep water, like dentex, dusky grouper and amberjack. The Azimuth 120 is a special-order size, abeefed-up 115 for tropical freeswimming critters, like dorado, jacks, wahoo, billfish, small, cuberas or even grouper.

The Pal line is more geared to the everyday European fare of sea-bass, gilthead, brown meagre, sargo, even grouper and dentex. IMHO, a good regular euro can take of most hunting if properly rigged for local conditions.

Ted
Rio

Hamrrhed

It is good to know that 110 is a good size for Florida (euro gun size I assume)

You can get a teak-sea azimuth or pal built any size you want, but beware they measure the sizes like a euro gun barrel length. I know Wong wood guns are measure on the total length of the wood stock.

You have already good selection of guns, I am gun crazy as well, I have a couple of yokooji, a riffe, a teak-sea and an Andre (as for wood guns). I am planning on getting another teak-sea pal 100 this (better to hit the fast moving salmon) and another yokooji when even hanapaa resumes making them.

I am really interested to see what is going to be your pick that is a great selection of guns.

Hiya,
Let me tell mhy experience as well. First of all i think the guns in the list are all brilliant.

I had the opportunity to use totem tahiti, pelagos and all abellan ones. As Murat said single vs double band is the question in here... If we think about double band ones I think denton is the winner. The mass and the design of the gun makes it handle 2 x 18 easy and enables fast tracking.. It is more like a fast shooter rahter than a static aspetto gun like tahiti.

Of course personal taste matters a lot in woodies but i like the chunky look of abellan guns, it somehow gives you the confidence.

Memo, do you know if Victor sells fins too? I can not contact with fabrizio so i may order from Victor instead. I called Fabrizio 4-5 times this week but other guy in the shop answered the phone, he don't speak english but i managed to understand Fabrizio is not in shop...I will wait few more days and if i can not reach him i will contact with Victor. The problem is i need single band gun for groupers inside or near the cave. I am not sure if denton 92 will be suitable to shoot in rocks. It may not even fit inside of the caves coz of its mass shaped body.

Nice combination - what were you hoping to use the Guizzo for ? When / if you buy it let me know what you think of it .... I was thinking of buying one but ran out of money and a friend decided to buy the Gimansub Labrax 80 instead.

guizzo will be mainly for winter season, shoting sargo under the rocks and aspetto gun for spinefoots and also shooting groupers in tight places.

I wanted to have them before summer season ends but it seems it won't be possible. Elios fnished my suit and i am waiting for Fabrizio to contact...Planned to have them all in once.

Hmmm... Italian time ?! Yes they can take a time to arrive and are hard to get hold of too ... Good luck. I have done the same with a winter Elios suit but I am in no rush as the water is still 16C.... and I am making an 80cm gun for bass and bream but it is going slow as I have a few other things to do.

I think the Guizzo is a good choice - let me know what you think of it as and when...

Ed

Uff a wood gun for cave hunting????? I hate using woodies in cave, i have my 82 single band esperasub gun for cave but you know... hearing the wood getting scratched in rocks... :(

Watch out the micro reel in guizzo, i was about to buy one but later on capacity worried me a bit.. aparently it can hold at most 18-20m 1.6mm dyneema in it.

For the fins.. victor stop selling products directly but he is now using subprof as the main dealer. However i know that in the near future he may start selling Dapiran carbon fins :D (i am in the line!!!!!!)

I have tried to buy stuff off subprof a couple of times but it stops me buying. Whenever I click on the button that should take me to the payment page it just reloads the basket summary... Anyone else have this problem ?

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT