• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Whitebait?!

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

ReefTroll

Expert Space Drummer
Apr 9, 2008
Does anybody care to share some whitebait recipes? Looking for simple dishes that retain the little fish, rather than mixing it up in a patty etc
Posted via Mobile Device

I saw a show the other day where the bloke just battered them and deep fried them whole then dipped them in tartar sauce and ate them whole with bones and all. This has the advantage of barely any preparation to do and all the nutrients of the bones. I haven't tried this but several of my friends have and they all loved it.

Greg.

Awesome, might give it a go on Saturday for an entree.
Posted via Mobile Device

I saw a show the other day where the bloke just battered them and deep fried them whole then dipped them in tartar sauce and ate them whole with bones and all. This has the advantage of barely any preparation to do and all the nutrients of the bones. I haven't tried this but several of my friends have and they all loved it.

Greg.
That's how i've had them before, very tasty little buggers!

Here in the UK whitebait is the name given to the fry of several different species of fish, taken from the nursery grounds, it's probably the most damaging seafood product going.
Hope in Australia it means something different.

Reactions: agbiv and ReefTroll
Hi Dave, I was completely unaware about what whitebait actually was, I assumed it was just a small species like sardines or anchovies that can reproduce very quickly and be resilient to fishing pressures. Cheers for highlighting this.

Greg.

Hi Dave, I was completely unaware about what whitebait actually was, I assumed it was just a small species like sardines or anchovies that can reproduce very quickly and be resilient to fishing pressures. Cheers for highlighting this.

Greg.

They're supposed to be the young of sprats and herrings, which is dumb enough but studies have thrown up boxes of whitebait with twenty or so other juvenile species, including bass.
Much whitebait is imported to the UK and doesn't even pretend to be sprats or herrings.

Sorry to hijack your thread Aussie guys. :)

If you do have a sustainable source of small whole fish then my bet would be lightly dusted in seasoned flour, deep fried 'till golden, then served with fresh tartar sauce or mayo' with lots of lemon juice and crusty brown bread.

Never apologise for a hijack of this nature Dave!! We learn something everyday, thankyou for bringing it to our attention!

They're supposed to be the young of sprats and herrings, which is dumb enough but studies have thrown up boxes of whitebait with twenty or so other juvenile species, including bass.
Much whitebait is imported to the UK and doesn't even pretend to be sprats or herrings.

If you do have a sustainable source of small whole fish then my bet would be lightly dusted in seasoned flour, deep fried 'till golden, then served with fresh tartar sauce or mayo' with lots of lemon juice and crusty brown bread.
That's interesting. And mildly shocking to read that it might include juvenile bass. I was looking at sprats for sale at Tescos the other day and the words "whitebait" did "scrolled across my mind":D.

They serve white bait at the pub next to Chesil Cove (mackeral sometimes chase whitebait/sprats in there). Looks & tastes like it was fried in a light tempura-style batter :p. I think I've only ever cooked them once, & probably just coated them in flour as DevonDave suggests (as I rarely make batter). Tartar sauce & lemon would be my preference too (Although I prefer lime, on most other fish.)

Last edited:
Reactions: agbiv
Try smelts--they are not fry of any kind. And all the recipes sounds fantastic. Try fryiing with nothing in peanut oil. As they come out sprinkle with cajun spice. Cool and eat crunchy with COLD beer.

I ended up buying some scallops and green lipped mussels, both still in half shells, and my wife cooked them up in a variety of flavours! This was followed up by Old Sarge's Swiss Chard Quiche! Delicious.
Posted via Mobile Device

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT