• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Who wants to go Spearfishing in Cuba?

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
My wife and I were vacationing in Holguin recently and (to make a long story shorter) hooked up with a local school teacher (Roy) and a chef (Roger) who are very good spearos, and took us to a wall shoredive. The place is pretty heavily speared already, but we did see some nice grouper and snapper. The wall starts at about 45feet and there is a crevasse running along the ridge where the fish like to hide. Roy speaks excellent english, Roger?.. none. But under water, it doesn't matter. Roy was saying that "next time" we would go to some underwater pinnacles further offshore, in a boat, which would require going to 20 metres, as the peaks were just shallower than that. Most of the locals are unable to get there, so the spearing is reported to be excellent. If you're in the area, get ahold of Roy. You'll also get an education in local and world politics, economics, and the changes in Cuba under Raoul. Highly recommended! If you have spare 1.5mm suits or a knife, they would be valued far beyond the cost to you. Roy will pick you up at your resort in the 55 Ford pictured. Your resort will call him and he will contact you at your room. You can text him at the number on his card attached too. These are great guys, it's a bit off the grid, and they are just trying to make a better life for their families.

By the way, this is not a commercial. Roy went waaaaay beyond the obligations of any contractual relationships for us. He's a standup guy.

Attachments

• IMG_0797.JPG
    IMG_0797.JPG
    224 KB · Views: 247
This thread probably belongs somewhere else (foxfish can fix), so that people who are interested can see it.

This thread probably belongs somewhere else (foxfish can fix), so that people who are interested can see it.
That would be great. I told Roy I would publicise him as much as I could. It's rather funny, I will probably never see him again in my life, but I feel an obligation to help out our less-economically-blessed brothers.

I dunno about that...

I made a friend / local spearo in Cuba and as an enterprising, hard-working guy... Made it to the states!!

I chat with him on FB, have his cell # and hope to spear with him in Florida and host him at my place in Toronto!!!

There is a brain drain in Cuba.

Hey
I've spearfished with cubans for the last 15 years they are great guys and not all cubans want to leave cuba I find them very patriotic without nationalistic fervor and harbor no grudge to our famous neighbours south of us

This is true.

In fact the ONLY reason why my friend left is because he wanted more opportunity for his daughter.

He is a bright guy and she is a smart kid... and OUTSIDE of Cuba, his daughter can become anything she wants.

In Cuba, she could hope to learn English, work in the tourism industry and make a few more pesos than the neighbors.

Even in the US, most Cubans are very proud and wish they could one day repatriate.

My friend was old (my age) and I think he was OK living a "good life" in tourism in Cuba. GREAT family values and community (out of necessity).

It's too bad, but the "pure" system doesn't work in practice... All I see there is capitalist markets, black / grey markets and people hustling for extra $$$ / food to get by.

That's why they spearfish... To feed their families and community.. We do it for fun / sport.

The allowed rations don't cut it... And as a result, they take risks to make up the difference. :(

I wish all the Cuban spearos can enjoy spearfishing as we do... For sport, not for survival.

My buddy likes the warm, currentless, freshwater pool... But went in the ocean... Because that's where the fish were.

Incredibly warm, loving, genuine, educated people.

Hi, I'm planing a trip to Cuba during the end of December, and I would like to get more infos on how does it works there. Are we allowed to bring our spearguns and knifes ? can we rent equipments there? Do we need to get permits? Is there types of fishes that we are not allowed to hunt? Where are the best places to dive and also with low chances of shark encounter ? Do you have any tips or connects for guides over there ?

Much thanks

If u go in Dec u will be lucky if u can actually go spearing, itsthe end of hurricane months, on the other hand I have speared in the north and in te south, east of Holguin fishing become more difficult not much in terms of spearing intelligence, south is good and have met more sharks than anywhere else, but never had a bad encounter. I always bring my gear have never rented. Bring your gear n it all depends on your command of spanish, technically u need a permit which u must apply b4 heading there ask the cuban embassy. I can string some spanish together n have never had any problem. But I have heard of horror stories of gear being seized and spearos being fined more like extorted I think. its a crap shoot if its ur 1st time u may want 2 recon a bit b4 diving in, pun intended. Talk to the local they will find u a guide, btw a spear gun is called escopetta in cuban. Good luck things r changing fast n I prefer 2 spear elsewhere now,

Thank you so much for the information, but what do you mean by things are changing fast and that you prefer to spear elsewhere? Is there more restrictions now on spearos ? Do u recommend somewhere else in the south? Also what kid of sharks did u encounter, and what did you do? Do you recommend diving from a boat or of shore ? I am experienced in river spear fishing but I have never done it in the ocean, that's why i'm trying to get as much info as possible...

Good luck things r changing fast n I prefer 2 spear elsewhere now,

sherif, please hire a guide 2 go, oceans n high seas r serious n will b fatal if u have never been [photo=medium]12188[/photo]there, the currents and tides r treacherous, there r cold underwater current which will send u in a loop ....panic at 40ft n u r fish fodder mate...I have done both, swim from shore or get dropped in the ocean by the tourist touring boats....I would recommend you go fishing in northern Cuba......lots of bull sharks about 6-8 ft curious and given half a chance will take a bite at your catch....lobsters with their tail flapping will attract sharks, some reef and the occasional tiger..the juvenile black tip....many of the ppl at the marinas knows or r themselves spearos ..I am all for the Cubans raising their stnd of living, but there's a pervasive materialism which has changed the Cubans mostly brought on by Cuban Americanism...not my cup of tea..
good luck

Thanks a lots. I will use ur advise. Not a big fan of shark encounter but hopefully it won't end up in a Jaws story lol

Foxfish,
the waters of Cuba are rich and varied, I get a little mixed up with their different names some local and some international, just like the jack fish which they call palometta, we were at various depth from 15 mts to about 2 mts and in and out of the reefs, all the fish were caught in the northern keys visibility was excellent water varied in temp, should have worn a shortie as after 5 mts the water does get chilly, but hey I am Canadian...we were roughly 2-3 kms offshore. The cubans have primitive spearguns but they make it up with their knowledge of the surrounding..There was never a hint of ever being skunked...lobster was plentiful and we grabbed a cpl everyday for dinner..Canada does allow the importation of fish and I brought a cooler which I filled to bring back with me. I have spearfished in many islands of the caribean and the Indian Ocean, Cuba trumps them all in abundance and variety. They all liked the Tomba but the free shaft made them balk. I understand why, they go after massive fishes..my cuban mate had a cuban made gun and a 10 mm tahitian type shaft...I tried loading it and it took me all the strength I could muster to do it....I had 2 guides with opposite hunting styles, but just as effective...I informed them of the invasion of the Lion fishes in their waters...and they all told me that it was never in their waters 10 years ago, I left them with my Hawaian spear as we must have killed about 15 of them most of them in the 3-5 lbs range, obviously they have no predator judging by their sizes..
It was 7 days of non stop spearfishing..loved it...

Hey man I'm planning on flying down in 2 weeks to Cuba from Toronto to spearfish. If you have any leads on boats I'd love ur advice

I went last Christmas, I went to Varadero. Not the best place to spear fish unless you're going for lion fish and lobster. But I made some great cuban freinds, they are awesome ppl. A family of fishermen. It was a great experience even thought I didn't get to see a variety of marine life.
I did not have any issue with my equipement except for the led wights cause they buzed on the scanner. Once they see what it is they don't mind though. How ever I did not declare my spearfishing gear on the cuban visa. Saved me any kind of potential trouble.
At Varadero I didn't see any sharks (lucky me lol) but it's full of gellyfish.
Let me know if you want the contact info for the fisherman over there.

Attachments

• IMG_20151227_120819.png
    IMG_20151227_120819.png
    779.6 KB · Views: 217
  • IMG_20151225_033522.png
    IMG_20151225_033522.png
    405.6 KB · Views: 213
  • 2015_1222_131511_004.JPG
    2015_1222_131511_004.JPG
    102.8 KB · Views: 211
  • IMG_20151222_181019.jpg
    IMG_20151222_181019.jpg
    125.9 KB · Views: 215
DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT