• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Who will win the mens Constant Weight competition?

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Who will win the Mens Constant Weight Competition in Cyprus?

• Carlos Coste

Votes: 12 18.2%
  • Guillaume Nery

Votes: 2 3.0%
  • Herbert Nitsch

Votes: 18 27.3%
  • Pierre Frolla

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Martin Stepanek

Votes: 22 33.3%
  • Ronald Laurens

• Stephane Mifsud

• Bill Stromberg

Votes: 4 6.1%
  • Fred Buyle

• Lee Donnelly

Votes: 3 4.5%
  • Jonas Lauden

Votes: 1 1.5%
  • Mathias Launer

• Kazuaki Ichikawa

• Kirk Krack

Votes: 3 4.5%
  • Unknown or Outsider [Place your choice in a post below]

Votes: 1 1.5%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
hi

Thanks Brad, That sounds reasonable that whoever dives first gets the record though Id be pissed to be the second guy.

cheers

Wow,
just read the bit about Herb not finding out the judges decision until after Martin's dive. This way if they both make it they will share the world record !
What a guy.

They are both very capable of that depth and I hope they both make it. Go Martin & Herb !

Cheers,
Wal

Congratulations Marten....sheeshh! 93 metres, in a comp yet!
I hope Herbert is ok, and recovers quickly too.
Cheers,
Erik Y.

Are there any details on Martin's dive?

Did he use a mono?
Did he use wet eq?
Did he encounter any probs?

WELL DONE MARTIN!! :D :D :D 2 WORLD RECORDS!!

hi

Wow Stepanek sure did suprise me I honestly wasnt sure if he had it in him insane lets see if he can hold up against the big guns in the best discipline :D :D (READ STATIC)

What happened to Herbet Im not so sure.

cheers

You got it all wrong Ivan :naughty
Constant Weight is the best discipline ! :D
After all, how much skill does it take to float motionles in a pool ? ;)

Anyway big congrats to Martin, well deserved !
Hope Herb is OK and hopefully recover ok to do statics, where he's da man.

Cheers,
Wal

hi

Nah Wal you guys who dive down with all that gear on you cant seriously tell me that you like that diving thing better than holding your breath till you go black :D :D :D

You gotta use energy to do that you know :duh

Of course my extremely biased opinion doesnt have anything to do with the fact that im a poor diver.

cheers

To answer my own question... Martin used a pair of C4's (yup, 93m on bi fins!!)

Go Martin! :D

Hi loopy,

Martin wasn't allowed to use wet equalization with a mask on--if the judges see water in the mask they can dq the diver.

I picked Martin to win in constant, so I'm one prediction ahead of efattah! :D

Martin's got one huge advantage over the other static favourites--awesome psychology. Even if he pulls up at 7:30 or something, he'd probably win overall. Unless Coste or Nery can do something amazing--doubtful.

Pete
Vancouver, BC

Actually, water in the mask is a 10 point penalty, and in theory the diver could 'clear the mask' on the ascent and avoid the penalty. Even if the diver surfaces with water in the mask, Sebastien Nagel said it might still count as a world record, even despite the 10 point penalty.

Eric Fattah
BC, Canada

strategy

Hey Pete
Do you know where to find any hard info on wha'sup in Cyprus? Who declared what kind of stuff. Martin really surprised me last year when he reached for the wall so early. I didn't get to ask him but, his plan was probably 7:00. Did he declare 5:30 again?
I'd declare 7:15, force the others to go first and have Kirk call when I won. He can get the record back later, under better conditions if someone gets lucky. I'll also change the rules on declaration and a bunch of other things when I'm president of AIDA.
I talked to Deron about the 5:30 call and his comments seemed to indicate that he liked the 15 second 'wake up' calls. Does anyone else like them? I'm pretty sure that Deron plans to set 2 national records this week. I have my fingers crossed that he doesn't stop at seven. He told me about the 65M constant before he left but he didn't say a word about the static target. Wish the numbers were available here on the other side of the planet.
Aloha
Bill

Well here it is, straight from the horses mouth.

There are 12 people that have declared 5:30 and above.

Timmo from finland is the highest at 8min.

Karl Pernett has disqualified himself by not making the announcement cut off.

Keep an eye out for a South African kid name Bevin he's a sleeper.

I've seen Herbert pull off very clean multiple 8:10's and a 8:27 in the past week.

But, you guys are so hyped up about all the big guns you are forgetting about the true spirit of this comp. The other guys. The 165 men and women who declare the low numbers, they are competing just as hard as the the new world record holder. The people like Emma Farrel from the UK who had never been below 27m and announced 32m. Then had to dive right after Martin in really bad conditions. She succeeded! They are the true hero's of this comp and they are why I love this sport so much. So cheer on the little guys too.

DSV in Cyprus

us constant record

beating the us national record in constant is going to be a bit tough, you would have to dive 83 meters right? Brett's record is at 82.

Brett's record is 81m. USA
Eric Fattah's is 82m. CANADA

:D

Pete
Vancouver, BC

There are many kinds of records. Maybe the word 'best' is more appropriate. Call it what you want but no US team member ever dove 65 at a meet.

Hi Bill,

Didn't mean anything by my post. Competition records are, in many ways, even more amazing than solo world record attempts--and in the end, a personal best in competition is what it's all about. My best in competition is -52m and I was freakin' happy as a clam afterwards. Hats off to Deron for a great dive!
Deeper than Mr. Lemaster in competition, if I recall correctly.

Our competition records in Canada are:
Eric Fattah 70m (depth limit)
Mandy Cruickshank 65m

At Deron's rate, it won't be long before he passes 70m.
He must be close to the top 5 overall in Cyrpus. Can't wait for all the final results.

Pete Scott
Vancouver, BC

#3 at the World's. We'll have to buy him a bigger hood when he returns. Maybe that's why he shed all the hair a few months ago. I wonder if any one recognized him.
BTW, if I heard right, he did 70 at his last training session in Cyprus. I wish I could go 15,000 kilometers and celebrate my 39 th birthday with a performance like that.
Bill
P.S. Heck I'd be happy with one out of three, eh.

Last edited:
Hi guys,

Thanks for the kind words.

I'm still in shock! I can't believe that they called my name. I'm very honored to be mentioned in the same sentence as Martin and Carlos they are amazing divers.

It's now 5:00am and I haven't slept yet so I won't babble on.

Thanks again.

DSV

Dive conditions

Does any one know what the water temp was in Cyprus and how long Martin's dive took? I am guessing 3 minutes plus. 93 meters is awesome.
Jim

Status
Not open for further replies.
DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT