• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Why do I feel like pooping?

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

bengreen

Jul 2, 2014
This is a seriously question. When I reach about 2 minutes in my breath hold I get a very strong sensation of pressure inside and a strong urge to go # 2, what is the reason for this and can I do something different for this not to happen?

Reactions: Mufazalov
Ahhhh eat less. Seriously eat right a couple days out. Or the alternative is that your full of it. I think with time it will work itself out. It sounds like it is a real bummer. Hope this helps you out.

Beware of the oopsie-poopsie. Ha!

I can't say a lot about the medical aspects of it, but it seems to be tied to the dive reflex. The only remedy is to just poop and get it out of your system (in a toilet, not the pool please). That's why I do a dry warm up routine before I suit up and get in the water. This along with controlling when and what I eat before diving usually takes care of the situation. At least freediving keeps you regular. :ROFLMAO:

Last edited:
Don't fight the urge... Give in and then keep going with the breath hold... A 5mm apnea suit will hold everything in. Don't worry about it.

JUST WAIT until what you see what happens at the 5:00 mark!!! :eek:

;)

Reactions: DuncM and K3n4iboy
when I want to do #2 in the morning and it isn't ready, I do static and it will be ready...lol

It could be related to the blood shift :)
I dont think eating less will solve any problems. Here is what I do: I have a full breakfast in the morning, totally full. Cornflakes, veg, some food rich in fat. The tasty stuff ;)
And then I give an hour-two before entering the sea. By the time I am next to the sea the ('trained over the years') habit kicks in and there you have it - #2. If not - try to hold your breath before entering the sea/playing with your diaphragm - that also helps...

But if some suit manufacturers are browsing this thread - think of something like a pisette, but rather a poop-ette :)

I think it's fairly common, I've heard of some competitors scheduling in a 'poo break' in their warm up routine when doing statics.

Has to do with blood shift and dive reflex. Blood lactate goes through the roof during extended apnea so kidneys and liver go into high gear, and because blood is concentrating in your core your body thinks you are overhydrated, so it naturally strives for equilibrium. Worst part of fishbowl apnea stunts... What if I pee in front of all these people and cameras?

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT