• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Why does hyperventilation cause dizziness?

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

cheese

a dairy product
Nov 1, 2002
Hi folks!

We all know that hyperventilation will push back the breathing reflex mainly because of decreased CO2-levels.
We also know that excessive hyperventilation can cause dizziness.

But I at least don't know the reason for the latter fact. Maybe it has something to do with increased blood alkalinity...?

Could anyone clarify this?

Getting rid of too much CO2 will cause constriction of blood vessesl in the brain and actually supply low levels of O2 to the brain - but there is more to it than that.

There has been some discussion in the past over Blood pH and how it affects O2 carrying capacity. A high pH stengthens the bond between Haemoglobin and Oxygen. Thus not only will blood flow be reduced but also offload less O2 when in the brain.

I think these two factors will explain a lot of the dizziness.

Ben

constriction of blood vessels

Thanks Ben!

So why does a low CO2-level cause constriction of blood vessels in the brain? Why would they constrict below normal in this situation? It's not like the brain would be getting too much oxygen otherwise... :confused:

I'm guessing this is just the effect of high CO2 levels (causing blood vessels to constrict elsewhere and dilate in the brain. Or would that be caused by low O2?) being taken to the other extreme... but I can't really think of a reason for it to happen.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT