• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Why Does It Happen ??

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

armorking

Jun 3, 2003
Hi! I have try some static at home and , well first try today actually. Anyway when i relax and sit still i did about 2.15 then a burning feeling in chest push me to breath i just cant go any further. Whe raise up and moving around after about 2min( walking for e,g) i do about 3.10 WHY DOES IT HAPPEN ?!.

Teoretically i should be able to do more when still then moving around.:confused:

If Eric Fattah catches wind of this post, he'll be able to break it down physiologically for you, but put simply, your body adapted to the higher levels of CO2 in your system.

That is why you should do a series of build up breath holds (Usually 2-3) before attempting your final one.

I am sure Eric will be able to elaborate in more detail on this if he chooses...

Last edited:
This is a tricky one. Surely if you were going to the point of blackout, sitting would give the biggest time. But, since your times are not near blackout, and you are being limited by the urge to breathe, then what might be happening is that once you stand up and walk, 'fresh' blood in the legs displaces 'stale' blood in the core, and the fresh blood from the legs is more alkaline than the stale blood in the core, resulting in a decrease in the breathing reflex.

Eric Fattah
BC, Canada

I think the walking around serves as a distraction from the discomfort, so you can resist it longer.

Once you become better at delaying/tolerating the discomfort, walking around will probably shorten your times.

Aha! I did not thinking of fresh blood start cirkulating whn moving around. Thanx for the replys. I am a totally newbe.

a few practice holds

I am VERY new to freediving, and I had this experience my first "timed" holding practice.

First try 1:16
second try 1:30
3 - 2:32
4 - 2:41
5 - 3:01
6 - 3:20

I really do not know what I am doing, to be honest. I just relax as best I can and do what I believe to be several "packings" and breathe deeply about 5 times in succession before going under.

I found it very interesting that I could go that long on try 6. I have an oakley d5 watch that I use for recording running rates. It stores up to 100 laps and was very handy in the pool.

hi

My 6th attempt is always the biggest as well, its a pain though cos it takes about an hour for me to get up to that then Im pretty bored by the end so I dont relax as much as I could on a first attempt :cool:

cheers

Jetflyboy,

it usually takes 4-5 attempts to manage a good one and usually times will dwindle again from the 7th trial. As for "i don`t know what i`m doing", you are surely on the right way. Do whatever feels comfortable for you and makes you relaxed...:cool:

Ta ta, joe

Thanks for the replies.

Can I ask about the issue of blacking out? I don't feel comfortable practicing on my own unsupervised. One can drown in a few inches of water (like Pharoah and his army for instance). When is the threat of B/O the most dangerous? I have never allowed myself to get too "fuzzy" feeling when I hyperventilate, but seems like one could blackout at the beginning of a breath as well as just before you max out.

Thanks.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT