• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Wide beam or narrow beam light for spearfishing?

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Iristuo

Sep 23, 2020
Using dive lights for spearfishing, does the beam angle have different effect on spearfishing? I know the wide beam can let me see more of immediate area, while the narrow beam light can focus on specific areas intensively. Should I choose wide or narrow beam? Besides, water visibility is also taken into consideration. If I hunt fishes in muddy water or clear water, are there different demands for dive lights’ beam? I hope my torch can be used in both muddy water and clear water. LOL. Thanks for your help! ;)

For muddy water you need a very tight beam. Imagine car lights in the fog. It's the same idea.

Do check btw if using a light when spearfishing is legal in your area. Here in Greece for example it is not (although most do it anyway, the bastards!). Also check with yourself if you are ok with shooting a fish in its home, although by posting this question I assume you are.

For muddy water you need a very tight beam. Imagine car lights in the fog. It's the same idea.

Do check btw if using a light when spearfishing is legal in your area. Here in Greece for example it is not (although most do it anyway, the bastards!). Also check with yourself if you are ok with shooting a fish in its home, although by posting this question I assume you are.
I believe you but it astonishes me all those guys show themselves on youtube using a light. One Greek guy I follow even had a video about an "illegal spearfisherman" who was using scuba.

I believe you but it astonishes me all those guys show themselves on youtube using a light. One Greek guy I follow even had a video about an "illegal spearfisherman" who was using scuba.
I've seen people come out of the water with a mesh bag full of 150g octopus too, min size is 500g. People here often make their own rules as enforcement is lacking tremendously. Laws are seen more as guidelines than as something carved in stone, which I like, but sadly this freedom is misused a lot.

Last edited:
  • Sad
Reactions: Mr. X
Hey buddy!
1- dirty water full of sediment would require a narrower beam. A beam that is too narrow in very dirty water will simply make it impossible to see the target, as you will be dazzled by the reflection of the light on the sediment.
2- check if it’s legal in your fishing destination, personally I believe that diving with a torch is like stealing candy from children.
3- in my opinion the temperature color (kelvin) of the light is way more important than the beam itself. Water absorbs the red part of the light spectrum in a few meters, so most organisms evolved to see white and blue light. Using a kelvin temperature on the red-ish part of the spectrum will spook fish fat less, but at the same time, it will be harder for you to see them! So it’s a compromise

Reactions: Iristuo and Leander
Hey buddy!
1- dirty water full of sediment would require a narrower beam. A beam that is too narrow in very dirty water will simply make it impossible to see the target, as you will be dazzled by the reflection of the light on the sediment.
2- check if it’s legal in your fishing destination, personally I believe that diving with a torch is like stealing candy from children.
3- in my opinion the temperature color (kelvin) of the light is way more important than the beam itself. Water absorbs the red part of the light spectrum in a few meters, so most organisms evolved to see white and blue light. Using a kelvin temperature on the red-ish part of the spectrum will spook fish fat less, but at the same time, it will be harder for you to see them! So it’s a compromise
Got it! Thanks for your kind explanation. :giggle:

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT