• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

WingMan or MarksMan

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

settingsteel

SettingSteel
Supporter
Aug 14, 2007
Whats your style of shooting fish? Do you shoot fish like birds with a scattergun...point and shoot? or do you try to take the controlled shoot that is take careful aim and shoot?

I know that different cases require sensitive decisions, but this is a broad question to just generate some insight as to ones particular style or preferred choice. I personal like the point and shoot, instinct shot as some call it, in fact I will seldom shoot a stationary fish, usually waiting for it to move (breathold permitting), preferably quartering away...and for that matter a stationary shot is a 50/50 (hit/miss) shot for more often than not

...true at the end, it all boils down to a famous spearos words.
"I see fish, I shoot fish":t

Reactions: podge and Mr. X
I generally instinct shoot too. If the opportunity's there on a stationary fish, I'll line up the target. In really bad vis I've taken shots into nothing- where I thought the fish should be after disappearing, and got a few that way!

I’m a spray and pray man.
By the time I’ve seen most fish it’s to late to take the sniper shot and it’s all down to the old-
“shit there’s a fish quick let him have it”

If it moves......Shoot it :)

Im usually a point and shoot kinda guy.
Id love to be able to wait line it up but my breath hold is non-existent :(

Reactions: podge
I tend to take a carefully aimed shot, and it pays off, with most of my shots hitting the gills/head area. In TERRIBLE vis, I have taken long moving shots where I could barely see the fish, and the instinct set in and I had a fish on the line, from a good distance away too :)

Where I am the water is so clear that your shots have to be placed and waited for. On the rare occasion that you get rushed by a large school of something than the point and shoot tactic works nicely, unfortunately those occasions are rare, the fish I usually shoot are solitary or in pairs, very wary, and take a pretty good bottom time to get to come to you. Plus Im a firm believer in the head and gill shot:blackeye... wait, I take that back, stone um!

Here I usually shoot from above so have a little time to line up for the shot. Try to catch them coming from under the ledges. The vis is seldom better than 10 to 20 feet so from above they dont see ya coming.

wait, I take that back, stone um!

Amen, brotha!

I have a bud that uses the Marksman method and he seldom if ever misses a fish, I've seen him in action during an agachon- line up, take aim, and seconds later string his catch:martial

I use both but even when lining up on a stationary fish I don't sight directly down the spear.It's still half instinct.
When vis is bad I swim with the gun handle near my hip, right hand reversed on the handle, my thumb on the trigger and left hand half way down the barrel.

Might hurt when I pull the trigger. Those bands snapping your hands tend to leave bruises.
It's a band gun and my left hand's under the barrel with thumb on the left (pointing forwards) and fingers on the right.
First time I tried this I thought the spearline might catch a finger but it's not happened yet. The bands aren't a danger as they're on top of the barrel.
(Gun is below my body as I swim.)

Last edited:
After 6 shots on the same species of fish pulled off, I've decided to wait and take aim, this of course means working on my bottom time, but that'll come with more diving and with summer on the way I'll be in the water every chance I get and hopefully get my bottom times in the 2 min region by the end of the year.

I like to 'shotgun' them down. Point, follow, squeeze, and down they go.

Breading, tatters and a cold beer and down they go... again!:friday

I’m a spray and pray man.
By the time I’ve seen most fish it’s to late to take the sniper shot and it’s all down to the old-
“shit there’s a fish quick let him have it”

HAHAHA man you made my day!

Reactions: podge
Any one get lucky with the double hit? Ive shot three nice minpachi with my three prong on one shot. Can never seem to line up the double shots with my gun though.

Yeah, I remember a spearing session when I was surrounded by a school of Lookdown,(Moonfish) at first I did not know that these were fish,because the entire school was facing me, they are so thin, I did'nt realise this! I was probably having a 1960's flashback! :blackeye But when the huge school turned sideways, it was an enormous wall of fish! I panicked and pulled the trigger in self defence, instantly, the water was devoid of life except for floating guts, eyeballs, and three shiny dinner plates struggling on the string.:ko

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT