• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

WingMan or MarksMan

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
Any one get lucky with the double hit? Ive shot three nice minpachi with my three prong on one shot. Can never seem to line up the double shots with my gun though.

I've doubled on hogs, and YJ more than once quite easy to line up on hogs less so on YJbut do-able:martial

Shotgun. If I am lucky enough to encounter a shoal, I pick one fish & stick with it (otherwise a miss is guaranteed) - but the aim is always both eyes open, by feel. I don't have a super long breath hold but I don't think that's the issue, if you have time to take a good aim at a fish, usually it will have seen or sensed you & move as you squeeze the trigger, if not before. I can only think of one exception, a huge, stationary mullet, broadside, in shallow water that I came upon while stalking between boulders. The spear bounced off it, displacing some scales in a cloud near the gill cover (& that was with a 130mm x 6.6mm spear fired with 20mm rubber). We both remained still, stunned for a few moments afterwards before it finally shot off. I did fleetingly consider lunging for it!

Reactions: settingsteel
i'd say that aim is a mix of both, i usually aim down the barrell at some stationary fish but when they are on the move i'd say it's mostly instinct. I'm always "aiming" for the head and gills and mostly make my mark.
its not all skill and being able to be precise with you aim, its a lot of feeling and instinct, how fast the fish is moving, kelp, plants, other obstacles, maybe we can call it an art.

Interesting point...I as mentioned I'm the wingman and mostly aim, ooops I mean POINT at the head...specifially the eye hi side, although a bit less percentage shot it usually is a kill shot or a let live shot...hate seeing a fish with a nasty gash from a bad shot...this usually applies to most fish but Muts are different ball game:martial

I would say depends on the situation... Mainly i aim and give it time specially if it is big fish bcoz i do not want to miss, but if my breath will be at the end i will shoot quickly, also when i am not so interested in the fish i give it fast shoot.

~~pe@ce~~

ive been using a riffe 4s metal tech its a big gun and hard to do snap shots with but it was very accurate and had virtually unlimited range so i got in the habit of taking long shots and aiming carefuly if i had the time i got the fish if not it was gone before i got a shot off im switching to a 120cm ra rail gun and im going to force myself into getting in the habit of holding it sideways and sighting down the shaft. ive got a target i'll take out in the water and spend some time getting dialed in

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT