• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Winter blues - bodyboard float / belt stringer

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

the_milkman

Totally addicted to bass.
May 25, 2006
This year I decided to beat the winter blues by building myself a new float. Took loads of ideas off these forums and off spearboard, so thanks all, esp Diabolo Loco off spearboard whose design I based mine around...

The idea was to build something like a Sevylor Dive Hunter. I wanted it big enough that it would be a navigation hazard for JET SKIS and small boats, wanted to be able to stash shellfish and fish on the top of the board, carry a couple of guns, and some bits and bobs out with me. Also a pretty snag free bottom for moving through weed beds. Didn't need it to be inflatable as I have a travel float for that. This is strictly for local shore dives. I wanted something I could get my body on to make long surface swims quicker as well, esp when going against a current. I thought I would save money on a dive hunter, but in the end all the SS fixings were so pricey so I reckon it worked out about the same. I called it the 'cash burglar' in honour of the escalating costs! (Sorry Fearthespear!)

1. So here's the board unloaded. The booger was the cheapest closed cell board I could find. Closed cell to prevent water ingress, and more durable than polystyrene. All fixings are nylon kayak eyelets with SS washers and bolts, sealed with spongerez (neoprene glue). Backpack straps attached to bodyboard leash plugs threaded with PVC coated dyneema. The red net is a motorcycle cargo net. Bungee holding a standard divers goody bag in place. Flag holder is off a rubber dinghy - bought from a chandlers and fixed on with spongerez. Stringer is an Omer big fish, chopped the rear loop off, drilled it and bolted it to the board. Forward gun straps are 'cool clasps' (do a google search) fixed with SS webbing fasteners:

web.jpg

2. Underside of the board. Removeable straps poached from an old dive bag. Fixed to the board with 4 bodyboard leash plugs (reversed) and threaded with dyneema that I threaded through some pvc tubing to make it more durable and less likely to snag. You see all the bolts are flush - they are SS sleeve nuts, used to fix boat windows.

web.jpg

3. I added an Imersion line winder (the underfloat type) - attaches to the board with bungees and clips so it can be removed whenver needed. Also a kayak deck bag, chosen because it's waterproof and has an internal daisy chain for fixing gear to so it doesn't spill out when you open it at sea. Again fixed with bungees and clips so it can be removed when not needed.

web.jpg

4. Swiped some old foldable elastic threaded tent pole and attached some dive flags to them. They just puch into the holder and secure with bungee clip (not added yet). Flag folds down /removes for transport.

web.jpg

5. Finally a shot of it all loaded up for a dive. Now I just need to wait for winter to end...

web.jpg

Also made a belt stringer. Fixed to a pinch clip for quick release, and point stored in so old band rubber cable tied to the pinch clip. Mono threded through PVC tubing (to stop the mono tearing through the gills of delicate fish like bass / mullet) sealed with silicone and heatshink:

web.jpg

Hope you like - I realise how geeky this is. My wife has not stopped laughing at me since I started typing this bloody essay. I KNOW I am a loser!! L :)

Nice one mate, looks really good how much does a "booger" board cost?
I found with my set up - when fully loaded as in your pic - it is a bugger to carry down the beach. I have been thinking about some sort of carry strap, maybe even a back strap?
I am also going to try & fit a plastic window like a glass bottomed boat :hmm

Last edited:
Reactions: the_milkman
It looks very good, well done for going ahead and making it. how much was the booger board? we all want to know... good choice of colour.

just a couple of questions:
the top of the shoulder straps look close together - did you measure the distance - is it comfy?
i wonder how much wind it will take to make it flip - like if the wind gets underneath it? maybe a small weight attached on a line fwd/aft to hold it down?
why the quick clip on the stringer?
will the clip in the middle at the back be a nuisance if you want to lie on the board when swimming out - sticking into you?

Well done!

Pav- thanks mate - can't wait to try it out

Mart and Jonny - The booger was £35 and included 1 leash plug and a carry case. It was the cheapest closed cell I could find. The quality seems pretty good. You can get cheaper boogers but they are polystyrene inside, which is very weak. The backstraps seem to work well - I've tried them out and they are comfy. I got my missus to hold the board against my back and mark where I said the straps felt most comfortable. I agree they seem close together, but that's what felt best. They are from an old Picasso dive bag and I used to carry 30 kilos of gear in that so they are strong enough. I used leash plugs to attach them to to spread the load across as wide an area as possible to prevent them pulling through when loaded up. I'm not sure about it flipping. In my experience with surfboards they don't tend to flip in the water (mybe the surface tension acting like a glue) so it'd take some pretty strong wind to flip and maybe I won't be diving in those conditions anyway! But I have thought of that and bought an Omer Pedagno which I'll clip on one of the bottom dyneema loops if need. The clip at the back was a compromise I'll agree, but I wanted something to stop my fins and other gear falling out when I was walking to the beach with it on my back. I don't think I'll feel it too much through the double 5mil neoprene of the wetty though. I also thought about the idea of putting a glass bottom in (my idea was a pyrex dish glued in with neoprene glue) but ran out of space!! Pinch clip on the string was so I could ditch the whole thing very quickly if it got snagged on a rock or a seal or something...:)

Thanks for the extra info Rick, i reckoned you'd have thought it all out. £35 is pretty reasonable for a body board i think.
Looking forward to your dive/use report...

Reactions: the_milkman
Thanks for the extra info Rick, i reckoned you'd have thought it all out. £35 is pretty reasonable for a body board i think.
Looking forward to your dive/use report...

Cheers Jonny, well I certainly did think about it, but whether all the theory works in practice is another matter. It'll probably flip in the first 30 seconds and then sink... roflIt's getting its first outing on Saturday come helll or high water!

Rick, the flag holder you said is off a rubber dinghy, can you tell me what it's original use is? is it intended as a flag holder?

Rick, the flag holder you said is off a rubber dinghy, can you tell me what it's original use is? is it intended as a flag holder?

Hey Jonny - it's designed to take a flag. Here's a link to where I bought it from: Rubber tents or flag pole holder. Colour black

Float went great Saturday, was especially pleased with the flag which was highly visible and didn't sag or anything. It was fairly windy and had no stability issues. Hooray. Need to adjust the position of the scolly bag though as it was impossible to get them in under the kayak bag.

still pretty chuffed though!!

Reactions: Jonny250
Just stumbled across your handy work via another thread Milkman -- real nice job:king Bill Gates was a geek, it didn't do his bank balance any harm! I'd be interested to hear how you get on with it and if you come up with any other refinements.

Clever stringer design too - like the idea of the pipe to reduce tear offs. I hadn't thought about it but my vinyl covered RA "big game" stringer is thicker than normal and I've never had a tear off in the water (did once drop a big mullet on a particularly, long, steep, rough, brambly walk out but fortunately noticed; I should have put the fish in my RA crab bag as I lost the bag on the walkout that day, sob:().

Last edited:
Nice one, By far the best I've seen yet.... I'm going to join the loser crew and set to work on mine, got a nice bright yellow creased board at the car boot for £3! Advice to anyone looking for a cheap board to modify.... Car boot sales!!! Thanks again milkman...

Reactions: Mr. X
Lucky you. I only see those polystrene boards, often broken. The last time I went to a car boot sale in Cornwall I came away with a giant shark hook (the chain & swivel attached to it made a handy anchor chain :D).

This year I decided to beat the winter blues by building myself a new float. Took loads of ideas off these forums and off spearboard, so thanks all, esp Diabolo Loco off spearboard whose design I based mine around...

The idea was to build something like a Sevylor Dive Hunter. I wanted it big enough that it would be a navigation hazard for JET SKIS and small boats, wanted to be able to stash shellfish and fish on the top of the board, carry a couple of guns, and some bits and bobs out with me. Also a pretty snag free bottom for moving through weed beds. Didn't need it to be inflatable as I have a travel float for that. This is strictly for local shore dives. I wanted something I could get my body on to make long surface swims quicker as well, esp when going against a current. I thought I would save money on a dive hunter, but in the end all the SS fixings were so pricey so I reckon it worked out about the same. I called it the 'cash burglar' in honour of the escalating costs! (Sorry Fearthespear!)

1. So here's the board unloaded. The booger was the cheapest closed cell board I could find. Closed cell to prevent water ingress, and more durable than polystyrene. All fixings are nylon kayak eyelets with SS washers and bolts, sealed with spongerez (neoprene glue). Backpack straps attached to bodyboard leash plugs threaded with PVC coated dyneema. The red net is a motorcycle cargo net. Bungee holding a standard divers goody bag in place. Flag holder is off a rubber dinghy - bought from a chandlers and fixed on with spongerez. Stringer is an Omer big fish, chopped the rear loop off, drilled it and bolted it to the board. Forward gun straps are 'cool clasps' (do a google search) fixed with SS webbing fasteners:

web.jpg

2. Underside of the board. Removeable straps poached from an old dive bag. Fixed to the board with 4 bodyboard leash plugs (reversed) and threaded with dyneema that I threaded through some pvc tubing to make it more durable and less likely to snag. You see all the bolts are flush - they are SS sleeve nuts, used to fix boat windows.

web.jpg

3. I added an Imersion line winder (the underfloat type) - attaches to the board with bungees and clips so it can be removed whenver needed. Also a kayak deck bag, chosen because it's waterproof and has an internal daisy chain for fixing gear to so it doesn't spill out when you open it at sea. Again fixed with bungees and clips so it can be removed when not needed.

web.jpg

4. Swiped some old foldable elastic threaded tent pole and attached some dive flags to them. They just puch into the holder and secure with bungee clip (not added yet). Flag folds down /removes for transport.

web.jpg

5. Finally a shot of it all loaded up for a dive. Now I just need to wait for winter to end...

web.jpg

Also made a belt stringer. Fixed to a pinch clip for quick release, and point stored in so old band rubber cable tied to the pinch clip. Mono threded through PVC tubing (to stop the mono tearing through the gills of delicate fish like bass / mullet) sealed with silicone and heatshink:

web.jpg

Hope you like - I realise how geeky this is. My wife has not stopped laughing at me since I started typing this bloody essay. I KNOW I am a loser!! L :)

I know this forum's probably been dead for years, but I'm new here and cruising through posts for ideas on my own bodyboard float. Your description seems to be the best one that I've found anywhere but I can't get any of the pictures to load!

Me neither. It looks like postman posted links to images he'd placed on another website - those links are no longer valid unfortunately :(.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT