• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Winter Spearfishing?

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

vener

Jun 15, 2013
So I've been spearfishing during the summer for a couple years now but I usually stop during the winter. Here in Rhode Island the water temp gets down to 40 degrees. If I wear a wetsuit, hood, gloves, and boots would it be a good idea to go spearfishing? I'd love to fish during the winter but getting hypothermia isn't on my to do list. Thanks!

in a 5 mm double U might B able to do a ½-hour water time in 4 C water (I could, but I am scandinavian &have practised). I can B in water for I think up an hour in compressed 8 mm titanium-lined double cressi, before hypothermia starts to go from mild to wild. U need also 5-7 mm winter socks &good gloves. As ~85 kg XL male I need @ least 8 kg of weight in fresh water or more if dive dive in the ocean with this setting. Also U need a sleeping bag, thermos full of hot drink &|a warm car (but not hot) to recover from probable hypothermia when U get back from water. Buddy to get the thick wetsuit of is also a must (sometimes it is impossible to get the cold &thight thick winterwetsuit of by yourself especially, if U already R weakened by hypothermia).

The other problem is the fish go deep to sleep during the winter so the might B nothing to fish. fe. in Norway spearos seem to collect scallops during the winter.

BUT definetly worth a try, if U can do it. Even in a inadeguate suit, but dont stay long in the water. (=when U get the cold tremors hit, it is time to head to the shore). The water is clearer in the winter &the Xperience is somewhat different.

40F is mighty cold. "Wetting" the wetsuit will be painful, first few minutes will be especially bad, and from then on you will only have 30 minutes of relative comfort with 5mm suit. You will certainly be in some stage of hypothermia, from mild to severe and managing post dive warm up is essential. For me nothing works better then hot shower, I often drive straight to my cabin without taking wetsuit off, just bulk fish into a sink in a kitchen and go straight into shower, with all my gear, I warm up and rinse the gear in the same time. In the end it feels good, and I had some spectacular fishing, better then in the summer, but it really is only enjoyable in retrospect Lol.

4C water sound very manly. Vener, you should have backup (like a buddy) to help if something goes wrong. Good luck and post replay after experience.

4C is for wussies
I went on wreck dive with a ladyfriend few days ago in ~0C water
:D

Sometimes it is below 0C here in winter... I mostly scuba in winter and then most times in a drysuit ;)

I know that there are equipments that alowed you to go underwater regardless the temperature, offering some comfort. I also know that even with that it's not easy. So I guess that, in order to be complete diver, you must do it in all type of conditions.
Once I've felt up to the neck into a frozen lake and due to that I have all respect for people doing it consciously.
Hobelf explained his way of winter diving in a previous post. What is yours, NoFair?

Been spearing last few days here in British Columbia, around Denman Island. Water is about 7 degrees according to my dive watch. I am wearing closed cell 5mm wetsuit from Cressi (stitched in Cambodia eh). 2mm gloves and 2mm socks, 5mm hoodie. I am okay for 1 hour if there is fish around to keep me distracted. Not much fish though, dramatically different from summer when it was nothing short of a shooting gallery.

Forgot to answer back then; 9 mm suit (old and stiff so a new 7mm would be better), 5mm socks, 5mm gloves or 7mm lobster claw mittens. I use a 5mm suit down to 3-4 degrees, but then I don't last much more than an hour..

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT