• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Winter Spearfishing

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
Is she going to wear that to underwater hockey next week?

Jon

Okay, I thought my friend was nuts for blue water hunting alone but this onw takes the cake. BTW are those Muskie any good to eat? Figure they are like fresh water cuda and can't be that bad.

Brad :martial

They are like freshwater cuda, without the huge teeth, and they are very tasty to eat. Unfortunately, we are not allowed to spear them around here.

Last night someone mentioned to me that it MIGHT be legal to catch them by hand.

Ted, Do you know if this is the case? I would give it a go if we could.:D

Jon

Nope. Needs to be on hook and line. Otherwise, I would be grabbing walleye all year long (easily done by grabbing just in front of the caudal using a good pair of gloves). Grabbing (and keeping) a musky is more challenging - I've never been able to keep one - due to their slimy/smooth exterior.

But here's the 'loophole'... The DNR states that the fish must be taken by hook and line, but says nothing about where the fisherman must be. Up north at Sand Lake, we continually tried to catch the big crappie and bass that live underneath the fish cribs. But the stupid little rock bass (which live above the cribs) would continually strike our bait before it could reach the big fish. So I shedded my duds, tied a 3-foot piece of 20 lb test to a nylon lanyard, baited my hook, and dove to the bottom of the cribs. I threw the bait under the cribs and waited for a strike. Pulled out many nice fish that day, while my buddy landed only runts. The activity started to draw the attention of local fisherman, until finally, someone ratted me out to the fuzz. When the warden pulled up [his boat] to see what I was doing, he had to bust out the thick book of laws and make a few calls on his radio..... but in the end, no problems.

Now that is the ultimate in smoothness :cool:

You guys are changing my opinion about the midwest slowly but surely!:D

I know of bubble-blowers who have done that underwater fishing pole thing.

They use little ice fishing poles and dangle the bait in front of the bass on the bottom. It just doesn't seem as much fun as grabbing them by hand would be.

Justin seemed to think that you could catch them by hand. I think that he called it "noodeling".

Jon

this is toooo easy...

You get your girl in her string bikini out here Ted, I'll show her some how to grab some noodle... rofl

sven

Unscrupulous bubblers!!!

Well yeah, if you have a tank on it's pretty lame. I did it in my boxers, with no gear......wait wait wait......I'm not going to hang one in the air again. What I mean is: I accomplished this without the use of a mask, fins or snorkel :D.

"Noodling" is ill-e-gal (even for those smooth enough to have leprechans chasing after their junk). The urban legends have propagated much better than the actual practice - probably because of the name itself :hmm. It is mainly associated with the monster flathead catfish in the Big Muddy (Mississippi River for you far'ner types). The technique amounts to reaching your hand under a log [where the fish is hiding] and wiggling a finger. I sincerely doubt you would be able to sell your finger as bait to a bass - I've tried it...no dice. This method may have potential to catch flatheads however, because they are ornery and are known to bite anything that gets near them. [Allegedly] The catfish strikes, then you hang on and pull him out of his hole. While I don't doubt that this may have been accomplished a few times, I do doubt the validity of every sensational story I've heard. I've held a 60 lb flathead that I electro-shocked out of the Chippewa River while I was working on the DNR fish crew. We have a special, chainmail glove that we wore while handling these beasts because when then clamp down, they mean business (even after being zapped by 18 amps).

But don't take my word for it Jon. Next time you go out with the bubblers, ask them to demonstrate ;).

Attachments

• p_olivar.jpg
    p_olivar.jpg
    64 KB · Views: 268
Reactions: icarus pacific
Burbot Tabernac!

We used to grab a lot of big cats in the Ottawa river, you're damn right they chomp down hard. Damn good on the BBQ though...

Again, you guys are hardcore.

Willer

Well, I've had my fingers in some pretty fishy places... the stubby drives 'em nuts! :king

I've slid a few big cats onto the beach while line fishing and for the life of me, I could not bring myself to bait anything where I couldn't see the back of the hole (uh, er...) with whats left of my digits.

sven

I've never tried to shove my fingers down a fish's throat before, but I have had the chance to tickle a few under the chin.:D

I've always had good luck approaching them from the front, away from the lateral lines, to pet them. When you get bored with this you can always flick them in the nose and they take off- just don't tell PETA on me.;)

Sorry about the tanks in this picture.:duh

Jon

Last edited:
Lemme guess... that's a picture of you feeding the fish for Anderson prior to KeyzKraze 03? ;)

sven

Originally posted by icarus pacific
Lemme guess... that's a picture of you feeding the fish for Anderson prior to KeyzKraze 03? ;)

sven

Dunno 'bout that Sven, I can't see a packet of tuna chunks anywhere...;)

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT