• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Wong Enclosed Track

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
I have a wong bluewater ono(enclosed), his new mg special (enclosed) and a cf hybrid(rail). I really like the guns but I havent shot the MG yet as I just got it. It is a new model and I think it will be perfect. 57" with an Alexander muzzle, mid handle, but much smaller in size than the ono.

Do you have any specific questions?

the mg special is wood with the alexander aluminum muzzle. It is the same length as the mahi(57") but is much smaller in profile. It is not internally balasted and is more like a beefed up reef gun. Have not had it in the water yet but I think it will be perfect for big fish on the deep rigs without having to haul that big ono up and down all day.

Mike,
How much weight does the internal ballast add? I am thinking how much more effort it would take to lug the Mahi Gun around verses MG Special.

Also, out of curiosity, I saw where you posted some pictures of a nice catch with Anderson and someone else, on another board. You said the fish where in 90-100 feet of water. Are spearing that deep now while freediving? Pretty awesome if you are!
don

the internal ballast is a little different for every gun. He gets in the water with the gun and adds weight until it is perfectly balanced. Check the web site for weight ranges or email Daryl and tell him I sent you. http://www.wongspearguns.com

As for the diving...Andy is out of control. He was making close to 3 min dives to well over 100'. I am diving comfortably to about 80 now so I have to build a longer floatline(Ive been maxing mine out)

When you ordered the MG Special from Darryl, did he give you any idea as to the difference in range of the MG and MG special? I am looking to get a bluewater gun before next season...Hunting tuna with my Eurogun proved somewhat futile. It will work IF they get close enough, but then you end up with bent shafts etc. No thanks! I'll continue to use it for my day to day diving, but it's time to gear up for the big boys!

Thanks,
Matt

sounds like you would be better off with a dedicated bluewater gun like the mahi or ono. You already have reef guns so why get a compromise gun? The big difference is that the Mahi or ono would be ballasted to prevent any recoil when you power it up. A MG sp. will hold the same amount of bands but will have recoil at that power.

I will still use the ono for my b/w hunting but the mg was aquired for a go between gun.

Reactions: Mattedhead
I was kinda thinking the same thing...I have a few reef guns, but I am a little wary of diving with such a large gun. My largest gun now is a 116cm. It will just take time to adjust to diving with a 63" BW gun I guess. Most of the targeted fish will be 60-70' or less, so I guess it won't be that big of a problem.

Thanks again Rig-- how have the conditions been in the Gulf? It looks like it might finally calm down and clear up here.

Matt

its been rough, rough, rough. As for the b/w...you will be 30' or less most of the time. Good luck.

Comfortable to 80', eh? I better start popping the Claritan now before the next Kraze! :blackeye

You can do a lot worse than a Wong enclosed gun, Bobby. I modeled my 44" titanium hybrid after having swung a Wong and it's sweet. Had I the tooling to go enclosed track I probably would've gone that route.

Depending on the weight of the stock, as the density of the teak will vary, ballasting will add 3-6 pounds and yeah, it's a haul back to the surface, especially towards the end of the day when the ears are sqeeking and the sinuses are chumming. Lugging a full on gun to that depth makes you want to leave it there and haul it up on the floater.

Gimme a ring, Mike and let me know what goes.

Sven...the weather has sucked until this past weekend. We took an overnight charter and I left all my toys at home and boy was I pissed! Unbelievable vis, manta rays swimming around with loads of cobia on them, aj's 40' under the boat and you could see the stripe on their heads...and me with no gun. Oh well, sucks to be on the job. Looks like another front is coming in today and we are about 3 weeks ahead of schedule on winter...

hard to plan ahead right now with school and a short supply of $(those damn student loans better get here quick!) but we will try to put something together soon.

doh!

Originally posted by rigdvr
Unbelievable vis, manta rays swimming around with loads of cobia on them, aj's 40' under the boat and you could see the stripe on their heads...and me with no gun.

:head

Hey, I hear you slammed a sweet piece o' protein and got a nice finish at the tourney. Congrats.

Remember the #'s? ;)

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT