• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Wong Hybrid

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

senor

Jul 24, 2004
I am thinking of getting a Wong Hybrid but not sure if I should get it. I will be using it in so cal for white see bass and yellow tail. Should I get the SEMI ENCLOSED TRACK or not. Has any one used one before or have any complaints about the gun.

Wong guns

Hola Senor,

I don't own a hybrid but I do own two Wong guns: Mahi and a 110cm railgun. I got the Wong Mahi last year for WSB and YT here in Southern California. While I don't own a hybrid, I've shot the 60" hybrid. Here are my impressions.

The pipe section of the gun allows it to be maneuvered very easily. I only used it once but in that single outing I shot a nice WSB off Catalina. It was incredibly accurate and best of all hardly any recoil.

The semi-enclosed track allows the gun to have more power but you will still be shooting a 9/32 shaft. I would just move up and get the Mahi which is fully enclosed and shoots a 5/16 shaft.

All Daryl's guns come with a lifetime warranty. That's the lifetime of the gun. Any gun that he made, regardless of how many previous owners is under the same warranty.

This is my second year but I've shot three fish over 50lbs and one over 60lb with my Wong Mahi. I'm a huge fan.

Nate

Thank you, Spinal Tap

I would get the Mahi gun but my budget is sort of tight right now. Between the Mahi and the Hybrid what gun did you find more accurate and was the Hybrid you were using a carbon fiber or titanium.

accuracy

Senor,

The hybrid I used was carbon fiber. The guy who let me use it also has a titanium hybrid but I didn't use it. In a conversation with Daryl he stated that if he could he make them all out of Carbon fiber. He believes it's just a superior material. Before anyone accuses Daryl of wanting to use carbon fiber only to boost the price peopel ought to know that Daryl is a dentist or oral surgeon. He can make a heck of a lot more money at his regular job than making these spearguns.

I've only shot the hybrid once and strung a fish from about 10' away. it pretty much shot exactly where I aimed. It was the first time I ever dove with the gun. I would say it was very intuitive to use. Then again I also got a fish with my first trigger pull with the Mahi.

Regarding price: the Mahi is $799 vs. a carbon fiber semi-enclosed track (60") of $735 or $635 for titanium.

Nate

accuracy

Senor,

The hybrid I used was carbon fiber. The guy who let me use it also has a titanium hybrid but I didn't use it. In a conversation with Daryl he stated that if he could he make them all out of Carbon fiber. He believes it's just a superior material. Before anyone accuses Daryl of wanting to use carbon fiber only to boost the price people ought to know that Daryl is a dentist or oral surgeon. He can make a heck of a lot more money at his regular job than making these spearguns.

I've only shot the hybrid once and strung a fish from about 10' away. it pretty much shot exactly where I aimed. It was the first time I ever dove with the gun. I would say it was very intuitive to use. Then again I also got a fish with my first trigger pull with the Mahi.

Regarding price: the Mahi is $799 vs. a carbon fiber semi-enclosed track (60") of $735 or $635 for titanium. The guy who let me use the hybrid thinks the 60" hybrid is comparable to the Mahi.

Nate

Is the Wong hybrid a semi-enclosed track design? I thought that it wasn't. Correct me if I am wrong please.:duh

Last edited:
Hiya Guys

Anybody got a link to the Wong website??

Regards
miles

Semi-enclosed, enclosed, the words get confusing. My understanding is the hybird is an enclosed track on the back part of the gun that is made out of teak. The spear sits on the top, probably on a plastic rail, on the pipe part. All enclosed tracks are really semi-enclosed in that they are open on top so the shark fin taps stick through for the wishbones to attach.
don

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT