• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Woo hoo! New PB

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

FreeFloat

Underwater Tourist
Jun 5, 2003
Today I went diving and surfaced with a new PB.

Okay, so it pales in comparison to other people's records. But to me, it's definitely worth bragging about due to several factors:

1) it was done in Open Water;
2) it was done in very cold Open Water (32°F);
3) I have had a great deal of difficulty learning to clear my ears while inverted head-down. Thanks to Eric Fattah's extremely well written article, last fall I finally learned how to clear my ears. So now my limiting factor has become simply my breath-hold, and that can be trained.

Well, here it is:

35' for :38 seconds!!!!

Which I consider awesome for me personally for the above noted reasons.

Watch for further brags every time I manage to increase it...

PS. The bottom was at maybe 40', but I wasn't eager to stir up silt. I'm going to have to find some deeper shore accessible sites!

Last edited:
Reactions: stevevidar
Way to go Larissa!!!

35 feet! Any trouble with the equalizing, or did you still feel like you had more at the bottom? When I was using valsalva to equalize, I couldn't get deeper than 25'.... That's only last Sept! If I can progress this quickly... well maybe even Nicholson's point wont be deep enough for you soon!

Speaking of Nicholson's point, what's the ice situation in the area these days?? I could use some deeper water soon :D

Keep it up!
Aaron

Originally posted by Snorkel Bum
Congrats!!!! Breaking a PB is always great! My PB is 5:13 in water, hah! (Shuddap i kno it sux :eek:)

Thanks!

FWIW, my static PB is 2:08, and my dynamic with fins PB in confined water (swimming pool) is :53.

So, I'm getting there... wait til the lake warms up some - If I'm a newbie and pulling 30 - 40 second bottome times in ice cold water, there's no telling what I can do in warmer climes!

Last edited:
Originally posted by flyboy748
Way to go Larissa!!!

35 feet! Any trouble with the equalizing, or did you still feel like you had more at the bottom? When I was using valsalva to equalize, I couldn't get deeper than 25'.... That's only last Sept! If I can progress this quickly... well maybe even Nicholson's point wont be deep enough for you soon!

Speaking of Nicholson's point, what's the ice situation in the area these days?? I could use some deeper water soon :D

Keep it up!
Aaron

No troubles at all. In fact I recall I had to equalize my mask as well with a little puff of air which I recovered from the mask on my way back up to the surface. I do get a wee bit of hood squeeze from my integrated hood but that I can deal with. :)

Speaking of ice, it wouldn't surprise me if Nicholson's is diveable - only the smaller bays, marinas and boat launch ramps have any ice left and it's disappearing fast. I'd have to drive down and eyeball it to be sure however.

Do I detect another Freedive Day In Kingston coming up...?

Yesterday i got 2 PB. I got 2:45 static and 2:00 dynamic this is not that good i know but last weekend i could only get 1:15 static thats to snorklebum i learned the proper technique. I was hyperventalting before and it sux! My best dive ever is 45 but that was last summer i think i can get 60 or more this summer. well i g2g ttyl and thx 2 snorklebum.

Opps i tried 2 reply but i accidently made a new thread

Reactions: stevevidar
Did 27m while diving in Malta.. this years PB, hopeto get some more diving done soon so I can actually get into diving deep again..
But feel fairly good about my 27 dive.. John, could you send me the data from that dive, or did you clear your comp after my dive?

Pekka

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT