• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Wood finishing

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

jayke

Jan 10, 2010
Hey guys
wanted to no what other products can i use to seal the wood like epoxy would do?
epoxy is $130 bucks! thats not even with the hardener
its made out of tassie oak so yea. is there like oak oil or something lol
jayke

You should be able to buy small amounts of epoxy for $30!
6 x coats of marine grade polyurethane varnish if you are on a budget or 6 x coats of two pack varnish if you want a longer lasting finish.
You can polish two pack with rubbing compounds (T cut) to get a beautiful deep shine.

i cant find any small amounts i looked all over bunnings. and nothing smallest was 10liter.

in a pinch you can use the epoxy that comes in the double syringe. the clear kind works ok. any hard ware store in US has that stuff , plus wal mart -k mart, even craft stores would have epoxy in those little syringes. its the same stuff. its all over the U.S.. i dont know about europe.its like 4$ us for one little double tube, plenty for a coat or two for a gun. but if you like the gun, buy some good stuff.

Last edited:
I hav had sub optimal results with the "Over the counter" Stuff. But, check out System Three Epoxy. I got the enough of the thin penetrating stuff to build and seal several guns and it wasn't that bad. Don't remember the exact number off the top of my head but I am a serious tight wad so It couldn't have been all that much.

josh (neptonics systems) and i are working on importing the resin i use for coating on my guns , to oz right now . we will see if we can
phil

Does anybody know how to get "0" bubbles in the west systems epoxy, I have one poured track that turned out styro foam....yuk.

Jkwest is that why your looking at the vacuum chamber.

I really like the west systems but will give a little for a perfect finish...like glass.

Jas

Does anybody know how to get "0" bubbles in the west systems epoxy, I have one poured track that turned out styro foam....yuk.

Jkwest is that why your looking at the vacuum chamber.

I really like the west systems but will give a little for a perfect finish...like glass.

Jas

put your resin and hardener,(seperate) in very warm water. that helps. a heat gun helps a little to warm the barrel a litle first and also after pouring. the top 1/8" always has bubbles anyway, so,. i started cutting my channel 1/8" deeper than i want , then after pouring, i run the whole stock through the table saw, and cut the top 1/8" off. now presto, no bubbles!. if you are getting styrofoam throughout your pour, you are using the wrong mixture. what mixture you using? should be, SLOW, hardener, resin, 1/2 teaspoon graphite, and 40% milled fiber,(mas brand) by volume,(west system doesnt make a thickener i like, personally.) what thickener did you use? show some pics

I did your potions, I think i just put the fiber fill too fast. I did the epoxy correct. does a little vibration bring the bubbles to the top. 7 of the guns came out perfect(tracks) just maybe one or two bubbles here or there.
Im trying to perfect the epoxy for the outside coat.
Is there a west system UV protecter?

Jas

I did your potions, I think i just put the fiber fill too fast. I did the epoxy correct. does a little vibration bring the bubbles to the top. 7 of the guns came out perfect(tracks) just maybe one or two bubbles here or there.
Im trying to perfect the epoxy for the outside coat.
Is there a west system UV protecter?

Jas

i dont think there is. you could use 2 part varnish coats after one epoxy coat. wiped off. that stuff is pretty cool to work with, i got the epiphanes. i just startd a thread about clear coats , so watch it and see what some of the other guys think, specifically phil herranen. that guy is a coating expert foxfish is good too, and others,. oh, and as far as bubbles and stuff, that is why i am trying to make a vacuum tube

I think home making a vacuum chamber would be easy, water tanks, pipe, do a Mythbuster homegrown special. I would add a view port also.

K Ill watch for the thread

thanks

Jason

You guys should make more use of utube, look out for the flame gun trick (works), vacuum bagging, epoxy top coating, surfboard making, mold making etc etc....
Also check out "real life" top end boats that have teak every where, find out how they finish the wood work, I have already told you but check it out first hand yourselves.
It depends on how much time you have, I dont build guns to make money I do it because I enjoy it.
The finish on this gun took about 30 hours & I am going to flat it down again soon because I can see a few imperfections.
The design is made up from pigmented epoxy, not paint & finished with 10 spayed on "two pack" lacquer coats.

Attachments

• P1040495.JPG
    P1040495.JPG
    133.2 KB · Views: 205
DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT