• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Wood Speargun ARBALETE IDROTECH Review

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

dario_deli

Spearfishing obsessed
Jan 11, 2008
Hi all,

It's the first time I write a review about a piece of equipment. REason is that I don't generally get very excited by new piece of kit. But this time has been different and I really want to promote this one as I believe it is an awesome product that would make many spearos very happy.

I have been recently using a new italian speargun called ARBALETE IDROTECH and since I had this great feeling with it I decided to add a very quick review about it here in Deeperblue. So far some of my friends also tried it out and I received good critics by all of them.

They are completely made by hands and perfectly balanced and sold ready to fish.

All best materials are used, hence they don't save in any part of the gun. It's a wood gun made of Iroko that uses ermes mechanism at the moment, although I have been told they are working in developing their own mechanism very soon. Shafts are made specifically for this gun with close notches with a distance between them as long as the one between the bands holes. This, I have been told by the guys of idrotech, has been done so that the bands (that have the same length), can push the shaft with the same power. This should result in a more homogeneous shot without having one band stronger than the other as often occurs with other guns.

The first thing that I noticed was the nozzle, it is simply fantastic. One band is perfectly placed parallel to the shaft and it doesn't touch the gun in any place, avoiding friction with the wood and subsequent waste of energy. The second one is completely hidden in the wood and bent to achieve similar result. Here are some pictures:

These two simple ideas (apparently simple as to manufacture that nozzle by hands should be anything but simple) really have a relevant impact on the shot. The bands are two 16mm, relatively soft bands (of course you could make them shorter), and the shaft 7mm but the shot is very fast, precise and effective. Tried out with a corvina of 20 kilos (here is the thread: http://forums.deeperblue.com/europe-mediterranean/96221-spearfishing-cadiz.html) and with a long shot the shaft went through half body to come out from his head. But I also tried with breams, bass and other small fish and got them all perfectly in the middle. I was amazed!

The second thing you can notice is the shape as the gun is quite large and broad close to the shaft in order to have a large mass, hence no recoil whatsoever, and gets thinner and thinner toward the nozzle, hence great maneuverability under water. And it it is really like that. Here are some pictures:

The gun is already balanced itself but of course you can change it as u wish by inserting leads in two positions, close to the nozzle and close to the handle.

The handle is comfortable for me and I think it is quite universal as the few friends of mine that tried the gun out all found it quite comfy. Here it is a detailed picture of the handle:

More detailed pictures and information can be found in their Facebook page: Arbalete Idrotech - Rome, Italy - Sports & Recreation | Facebook)

In the water is perfectly balanced, it doesn't float and it doesn't sink. It stays exactly where it is but as I said for who likes the gun in a different type of balance there is always the option to change it from two different places.

It looks great and although it is not an important aspect for hunting it is a plus, you can go from shore and all the chicks will look at your gun. Lol!

All in all, I highly recommend it for quality of the details, materials, innovation and simply how it works. What amazed me mostly was the speed of the shot, the precision, the complete absence of the recoil and also the very easy maneuverability under water.

Hope this would be of interest of some of you.

Regards,
Dario

Reactions: acevedo joseph
Wow - stunning bits of kit!

What is the one on the left? Full carbon? Looks amazing! If we ever had more than 3 meters of viz in North Wales, I'd buy one rofl

Wow - stunning bits of kit!

What is the one on the left? Full carbon? Looks amazing! If we ever had more than 3 meters of viz in North Wales, I'd buy one rofl

It's wood but it is painted in black. Yes they are quite good pieces of kit. The truth is that a 80cm one of this would be great in Wales, if I will ever come back I will use one of those sure thing!

As some of the pictures got corrupted, find below some new ones. :)

Sent from my GT-N5120 using Tapatalk

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1388792778706.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1388792778706.jpg
    51.6 KB · Views: 251
  • uploadfromtaptalk1388792794793.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1388792794793.jpg
    46 KB · Views: 264
  • uploadfromtaptalk1388792811697.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1388792811697.jpg
    32.5 KB · Views: 229
  • uploadfromtaptalk1388792825696.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1388792825696.jpg
    33.6 KB · Views: 220
Yes it is, it would be great to try it out one day in some great wsb from south cali!

Sent from my GT-N5120 using Tapatalk

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT