• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

wood suited to oil finish

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

doyenofcastle

Oct 30, 2012
I have a three type of wood guns from different type teak,Mahogany and african teak (brown and smell urine when you work with it it's not the yellow Iroko) can I use teak oil for sealing/finishing ? epoxy hard to use and I tried once and the track of the spear have some Hi lows of epoxy sags ,what different between application of Tung and teak oils ?any protections different?

I am building an iroko gun and didn't decided yet how to seal it: epoxy or oil.
Did you used oil for yours? How is it working?

Hi
no oil ,yellow iroko not an oily wood the brown african teak is the AFRORMOSIA and it's oily wood u can use oil on it ,so I just do 2 coat epoxy and finished by ACE spar varnish ,its good till now but where the fixing SS rod surrounding area turn little brown,for first layer try to do penetrating epoxy (mix epoxy with ethy...I forget what was that ) good luck .

Yes, the gun is in use.
It was covered with transparet polyurethane paint. Never refurbished and no problems. I do not abuse equipments but I don't take extra care also.

Reactions: Tipticiter
Old thread, but I used tung oil on my riffe and also on the red oak tiller on my sailboat with poor results, switched to teak oil and am pleased with it.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT