• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Wooden spear

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Kekipi Mano

Jun 8, 2003
I didn't know where I should have posted this, but I was wondering where I could find some teak poles. I was planning on building a "tribal" fishing spear. I would also like to know if anybody knows where I could find some stingray barbs as well. I'm going to use them to tip the spear. Would teak be strong enough, or are there some stronger woods out there? Thanks for any imput.

Reactions: Jon
Teak is plenty strong, but what do you mean by tribal spear? Most primitive fish spears were launched from above the surface.

I used to sell stingray bycatch from bay shrimping to a neural research lab.We always removed the barb for safe handling. I don't think they would make a very good tip. They're not flat, have a bit of a curve. They're serratted, and not real sharp or strong. I'd try honey locust thorn for small fish or bone for something larger. Ben Hunt's old books show trident designs with a long central icepick flanked by 2 flexible curved tines to hold the fish .You might try fire-hardening a tip from dogwood or osage orange, either of which make good shafts.You could also make a slip tip toggled point from antler. Heat it in water then straighten it out I and shape it.

I don't know of any primitive elastics, but you can gig flatties with direct muscle power. Good Luck!

i've always been interested in hand spearing...could you tell me how you would hunt with that? especially the small fish, and the bottom dwelling small fish.

Right here.

I have laminated and solid teak stock for sale. Gimme a PM or email and let's see what you need.

sven

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT