• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Working opportunity in Zanzibar

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Ender

May 17, 2002
Hi folks,

Recently someone approached me to come work for her on her resort in Zanzibar as a dive-master/instructor. The resort is not finished yet so I have a few months to decide.

I've only been diving in S-E Asia and Europe up 'till now, so I'm wondering what to expect.

How's life like on that island? How is the vibe if you know what I mean...What's the diving like? How are the people?

I've got me some books from the library but if any of you have been there and would like to share their experiences, please do :)

thx,

woww
seems to be a nice tropical place
what a job i've taken that with both hands and legs :)

Uh, there is some political unrest involving a desire on the part of some Arab Zanzibarians to part from the predominately Black African population of Tanzania. How genuine the problem might be versus how big a deal the Euro press is making it to be I am, of course, unable to answer. Otherwise, the water has the reputation of crystal clarity, there are really big fish out there and I don't believe that it has yet become a major spearfishing site, though some of our RSA readers might correct me. At my "advanced" age such an opportunity doesn't set off fireworks but if I were 25 and single . . .

Yeah from what I gather this place is paradise on earth. I have heard some especially good stories about the seafood :)

I'm currently finishing up my IDSA training and since I spent almost 4000$ on it I would really love to put it to good use, but on the other hand a chance like this doesn't come along every day.

Ha well there is still time..we'll see. thx for the replies so far :)

Ender said:
Yeah from what I gather this place is paradise on earth. I have heard some especially good stories about the seafood :)

I'm currently finishing up my IDSA training and since I spent almost 4000$ on it I would really love to put it to good use, but on the other hand a chance like this doesn't come along every day.

Ha well there is still time..we'll see. thx for the replies so far :)

i know some South Africans that go dive there every year. It's one of their top destinations... you can fish, dive, snorkel, hike around, there is so much culture and some of the resorts are marvellous.

go for it.. i had an opportunity to go there about two years ago but didn't take it... (kicking myself in the shin).

I've been on a liveaboard around Zanzibar - we went to Pemba and sailed back to Zanzibar diving all the best dives sights on the way back - absolutely fantastic, best diving I have ever done. Thoroughly recommend it.

On the last night of the hol we stayed at Zanzibar Beach Resort hotel and it to was lovely, paradise.....

Food on both the boat and the hotel was excellent....

Donna

Notes on living in East Africa
Swahili translation of Zanzibar is 'heaven-like', it's one of the original spice islands, very exotic with a strong Arabic and Bantu influence. It's not too dissimilar to an island called Lamu off the Kenyan coast which I know well, a hidden paradise! You'll find street markets, beautiful beaches, dhows, amazing food, friendly people and adventure. The night sky is incredible. It's humid, hot and sultry with two rainy seasons per year (April and May then October and November).
It's really important to respect the Muslim culture, cover up your legs if you're about town and wear a T-shirt at least and if you're into photography, you must always ask permission before taking a shot. They don't take too kindly either to public displays of affection .... so no smooching or schmoozing or skinny dipping!!! :D
Politically it's like much of East Africa swinging between being relatively stable to civil or tribal unrest. Usually when trouble kicks off it tends to remain localized to a region but not always. In Kenya we periodically have a refugee camp at a place called Shimoni which is predominantly for people fleeing Zanzibar when there is unrest. It's a risk you take if you want to live in Africa.
Life can be frustrating with food shortages, power cuts and no water supply or telephone contact, especially during the rains. But that aside, you can always find a way round these things and improvise.
The diving in Kisite, Pemba and the Zanzibar Channel is first class. Strong drifts, deep dives, amazing reefs, abundant life from small critters to pelagics and whale sharks.
It's an amazing part of the world, very special, unique and definitely not 21st C. A throw back in time, but I love it out there. Hope this fills you in a little bit.
Laura Storm

PS ..... Hi Donna babe! .... I should be writing up rehab notes but a deviation into deeperblue wins.

Hi Laura

yes I should be working too, but its far too easy to skip onto the web, especially as I'm here on my own!!! And I'm daydreaming of Zanzibar.....

Dear Endar!

If you decide not to take the job please inform me and I would happily apply for it!!

Thanks,

Said :wave

Freediver81 said:
Dear Endar!

If you decide not to take the job please inform me and I would happily apply for it!!

Thanks,

Said :wave

If I was single i would too! :)

hey Freediver81, if you want to work in Africa... there is a job opportunity in Mozambique.
Check this out
www.fimdomundosafaris.com

Last edited:
Ahh things are in motion.

Turns out building a brand-new resort from scratch is a bit of a stupid thing to do for various complicated reasons I know nothing about, so now we're (well..they...i just point and stare at the pretty pictures on the projector) negotiating to buy this beauty .

A bit posh for my taste, but I guess I can adapt :D

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT