• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

World record for holding breath please

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

tamilu

Mar 26, 2002
Hello all who took the time to check into my question. I am a nursing student and am doing a report on how long one can hold ones breath without damage to the brain. I have come across conflicting reports of the actual time for the world record. One was 7 min 35 secs, the other is 8 min 6 secs. Would love to have help on this. Also am curious about the training for this, and how it is possible. Really amazes me!! Is WAY beyond my limited knowledge.

the world record is 8 min and 6 sec by Martin Stephanek. Many freedivers however have done better than that in training.

The common mistake everyone makes when looking at these breath hold times is that they believe the brain is without oxygen all the time. Well, the body and the lungs contains lots of stored oxygen, so the brain has plenty of oxygen. When the oxygen levels are getting to low in the body, the brain shuts down most of the systems to further save oxygen. This is called blackout, and the freediver is helpless on his own. This is where it gets dangerous. If he doesnt get out of the water with his head, he may drown.

But until the blackout, the brain has got plenty of oxygen..

The training is all about relaxing and controlling your mind.. the diving reflex also helps a lot.

hi

the wr is 8:06 but I think its Ravelo who has done 8:25 or something like that eric fattah may know more about this.

cheers

i´ve recently read about a guy e.frechette who, after excessive hyperventilation and o2 breathing, held his breath 20 minutes 5 seconds.
but then again who breathes pure oxygen anyway.
still quite impressive, dont you think?

roland:)

The aida site lists Stepanek holding the record at 8'58" and in at the team worlds he reportedly did 9'24". In an interview I read he says his goal is 10'00"

Looks like we're getting close to that 10 minute thresh hold you mentioned a while ago, Eric. This should be interesting... :hmm

Yes, I meant Tom Seitas. I realized when I got to work today I had put the wrong name down. Sorry Tom LOL

The world record of holding breath is around 12 minutes and his owner is someone from San Marino.

If you're referring to Giancarlo Bellingrath's 12:47 (or previous record Gianluca Genoni 12:34), that was done on pure o2, so it's kind of pointless (and has since been beaten by for example Bill Strömberg, 13:05).

If this was done without pure o2, then I'd be really interested in details (and propably not alone).

12 minutes without pure o2 sounds like something within the realm of possibility. All it would take is a genetical crossing of Tom Sietas and Hubert Maier I imagine (yeah yeah, don't even go there...I'm not suggesting they actually try it. And if they did, then I would NOT be interested in details ;). But it would be an absolute sensation in the freediving world and I remain sceptical.

Last edited:
All it would take is a genetical crossing of Tom Sietas and Hubert Maier I imagine (yeah yeah, don't even go there...I'm not suggesting they actually try it. And if they did, then I would NOT be interested in details ;). But it would be an absolute sensation in the freediving world and I remain sceptical.

*hehehehe* rofl

you can see all the official world records on www.aida-international.org

currently it is Tom Sietas 8 58, but Tom has also done 9 24 unofficially in front of everyone who went to the Vancouver world champs last year

Sam

If you go to
http://www.apneamania.com/code/worldrec_main.asp?typeID=spr&specID=amap
You can see all the wacky records.
Tom Seitas holds the recognized record at 8'58" and 9'25" in competition
There is a guy, Robert Foster from USA, 590315 in San Rafael, California
Who stayed under 10 ft of water in a swimming pool. He hyperventilated with oxygen for 30 min before his descent and took his last breath at the bottom.
Stuff like that is not recognized as official.
When attempting records an AIDA official must be in the diver's presence for the 60 minutes before the attempt to insure there is no pure O2 or anything else done to enhance the dive.

Hi,
perhaps an interesting read for those who do not know the topic already: [ame="http://forums.deeperblue.net/showthread.php?t=54355"]BS or not??[/ame] .
Veronika

Jesus christ. if someone reaches 10,00 ,it is almost a quarter of a cold swedish scuba dive!!!

And 50% of a dive where your Rolock / Bluepoint / whatever drysuit gloves are leaking :blackeye
Veronika

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT