• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

World spearfishing championship, Chile 2004. Info required

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

kgian

Aug 20, 2001
Hello everybody!!

I will be one of the greek team at the 2004 spearfishing championships at Chile, Iqueque. The championship will be held at mid November.

I have no idea about the conditions at chile. I know that Iqueque lies at 20 degrees south of the equator so it has to be pretty warm. What about water temperature, visibility, species and quantity of fishes, sharks and anything else??

Kostas Giannoulis
Patras,
Greece

Kostas,

What's up my friend? Chile is cold. 7mm suits. It's very similar conditions to northern California. They even have California sheephshead there. I'm not on the team this year but I know the guys who are well. Best of luck!!! Let me know how it turns out for you and your team over there.

Scott

You ever been fishing in northern spain????

Thats what it will be like. Dark cold water and harsh conditions.

The spearos from the north of spain (PEPE VIÑA) will surely be at home there.

Get used to agguatto and surf fishing.

I don't understand why the water is cold. Iqueque where the championships is held is at 20 degrees south lattitude. That is more tropical than miami , and the same as rio de janeiro and madagaskar, and these are tropical enough...

The answer to the cold water lies in the currents.

The western side of South America is swept by the Humboldt Current, which flows from south to north. The water originates in polar seas, hence its low temperature even when it hits the tropical latitudes. The good thing is that the cold water has a lot of nutrients, and makes for rich sealife.

A lot of the western exposures of continents have cold currents, whereas eastern sides tend to have warm currents.

Simple really... ;)

chile

I am going to Chile too, this friday actually... I heard the water should be 16 degres and low wiz, 75 and 90 cm guns lots of hole fishing and fishing in the surf. Wawes at a normal day 5-6m!!! I am not sure about the wawes it sound a little crazy. but the rest are for sure

Try take contact with me while over there so we can meet

best regards johan nielsen, denmark

I'm going on Saturday and will act as a helper to the team there. With water temperature in the low 60's I'm thinking a good 5 mil suit will do. I heard the same thing about small guns, yet I hear the vis should be 15 to 30 feet which is real good compared to my usual diving. I've been following the weather there for months and it always seems the same. Scattered clouds, air temp in the mid sixties and light winds. Some of our group are there already and purchased lead weights for us.
Chauggie

It seems to be very difficult to find decently priced flight to Santiago. :s

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT