• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

World Spearfishing Championship website

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
Ted, in respect and friendship, I appreciate your enthusiasm and wish you all the best. But this is NOT the world spearfishing championship, nor officially, nor substantially: it's just an high level international tournement, organized by a new and ambitiuos organization. Good luck to all.
But some things sound pathetic to me: how can they call it "world campionship" without spain, italy, croatia, chile? without the world campion in charge and almost all of the top ranking competitors? Would you ever organize a soccer (futbbol) tournament and dare to call it "world championship", without Brazil, Italy, England and Germany?
Come on, this "civil war" of organizations will turn to very bad issues for all of us.

spaghetti said:
Ted, in respect and friendship, I appreciate your enthusiasm and wish you all the best. But this is NOT the world spearfishing championship, nor officially, nor substantially: it's just an high level international tournement, organized by a new and ambitiuos organization. Good luck to all.
But some things sound pathetic to me: how can they call it "world campionship" without spain, italy, croatia, chile? without the world campion in charge and almost all of the top ranking competitors? Would you ever organize a soccer (futbbol) tournament and dare to call it "world championship", without Brazil, Italy, England and Germany?
Come on, this "civil war" of organizations will turn to very bad issues for all of us.

Hey Spaghetti, You are right but ...a world championship soccer without Holland?..:t
Ok...I am dutch!

Discussions like this are embarassing, but it's normal to have different ideas and i mean no offense in anything. What I mean is that it makes no sense to have TWO world champions (Cmas and Fipsa) because this way none of the two will have any credibility. I have no personal or political interest to defend Cmas: on the contrary, I have many reasons to chritycize it. But what i'm afraid of, is that things like this will turn to a general loss of credibility for our sport.

"First they ignore us; then they mock us; then they fight us; then we win".

Mohandas Karamchand Gandhi, the Mahatma (1869-1948).

Ted Budion said:

Win what?
Listen, today I checked my gear and tomorrow morning I'll be diving for my dinner. I'm happy and I'm counting minutes with emotion until I'll be under there. I hope spearfishing won't be banned some day, and I honestly think that having one federation respected worldwide is a condition to avoid this. Nothing more to say. Good luck to Fipsa, longlive spearfishing. :friday

Reactions: foxfish
Ted Budion said:

please dont pull any of that gandhi crap.

Ted

Could please explain the main reason for the split ?

What is the main difference between a championship organized by CMAS to one organized by FIPSA ?

Hypersquid1 said:
please dont pull any of that gandhi crap.

An extremely immature statement.
First I'll remind you that 'Ghandi' is someone's name and is therefore capitalized. Second, that he was one of the few people ever to win a 'war' by waging peace, which is what Ted is getting at: a peaceful change of ways. Ghandi paid the ultimate price for his 'turn the other cheek' philosophy, something we Westerners tend to conveniently leave out of our own Judeo-Christian based culture.

I suggest you read and educate yourself before 'pulling any of your crap' around here.
Peace,
Erik Y.

If Im not happy with the the current options, then I can start my own "world championship" tommorrow. Many sports are this way, boxing, martial arts, ect.

I dont think the answer to anything is to blindly follow one organization simply tp have one and only one for a false sense of credability, but thats just me.

strangelove said:
Ted

Could please explain the main reason for the split ?

What is the main difference between a championship organized by CMAS to one organized by FIPSA ?

I concur. Ted, rather than answer with a quote, why note explain the rationale behind the move?

What in particular don't you like about the existing CMAS setup?

What are you trying to accomplish by creating your own World Championships?

All I know about the situation is that CMAS is trying to strongarm countries - threatening forfeiture in their World Championships if they participate in unsanctioned world "champopnship" events. I'd be interested in hearing your point of view.

Thank you.

This is the same as the new "world record" listings for spearfishing. We now have two Dogtooth Tuna world records... wtf?

Maybe spearfishing can end up like boxing? 16 different guys all claiming to be the champ, and no-one really benefiting, least of all the sport.

Incidentally, I'm hosting the true championships next weekend, the SOPWC (Shadows Own Personal World Championships).
As the only competitor I am sure to win! :t

Maybe spearfishing can end up like boxing? 16 different guys all claiming to be the champ, and no-one really benefiting, least of all the sport.

Can you tell me wich organization is more credible between WBC, WBA and IBF? Three major organizations, three credible champion per division. You want to be recognized as the best, then beat the best.

I see FIPSA as an alternative to con-CMAS divers, and as many tells it, CMAS way to reign is not popular. Some big hunting countries aren't there, but it's the first FIPSA championship, and you know what happen to country who compete under other than CMAS competition?

Think about the essence of spearfishing...If there are 20 world champs who cares? As long as my buddies and I can go out, suck in the experience and return with some dinner, i'm happy. Comps are not for all and don't interest all. The whole spearing thing is a superb de-stressing tool and thats how it'll remain for me!

Best of luck for the new comp anyway!

JJ Rousseau said:
Can you tell me wich organization is more credible between WBC, WBA and IBF?

Exactly. Three different guys (in a weight class) all claiming to be the one true champ.

What a joke.

Its like the various freediving associations. Each claims they have the world record for depth, dynamic etc... :head

If CMAS sucks at running the sport, why dont people vote out the current CMAS execs and take over themselves?

Thats exactly what they are doing. This isnt a clear cut political vote but now there is an option for people to show their unhappiness with CMAS. Competitors will compete whether they like the organization or not, its in our nature...especially when there is no option.

Its not like its a cummulative championship where you have to be the best day in and out, I can outshoot you 9 trips out of 10 but on the WC day you beat me and youre the champ? Cant take these things so serious.

I can't get excited over the idea that either hunting or fishing (of whatever kind) can be a competitive sport. I don't support B.A.S.S., don't get involved in live pigeon shoots and don't record the measurements of the various critters I eat first and then hang the inedible parts of the wall later with either SCI or Rowland Ward. Just a personal thing, no offense intended, but that's where I come from.

Reactions: Amphibious and Erik
Oldsarge said:
I can't get excited over the idea that either hunting or fishing (of whatever kind) can be a competitive sport. I don't support B.A.S.S., don't get involved in live pigeon shoots and don't record the measurements of the various critters I eat first and then hang the inedible parts of the wall later with either SCI or Rowland Ward. Just a personal thing, no offense intended, but that's where I come from.

+2, never been a trophy hunter. had a breif facination with spearfishing comps, but they lost their attractiveness after I started to learn more about them. I would never want to spend a day on the water where I felt I "HAD" to pull thr trigger on something, would ruin the reasons I spear/hunt.

rigdvr said:
Its not like its a cummulative championship where you have to be the best day in and out, I can outshoot you 9 trips out of 10 but on the WC day you beat me and youre the champ? Cant take these things so serious.
rigdvr, i may partially agree with you on this point, but that's what happens in almost every sport. I would also say that in spearfishing the top ten, or top 15, are always the same guys year after year, so they didn't get there only for good luck. Stefano Bellani was 4th in 2002 and 1st in 2004. Pedro Carbonell and Renzo Mazzarri won the world champs for three times in a row each. Maurizio Ramacciotti was 2nd in 2000, 3rd in 2002, 7th in 2004. So you can't say that each of these guys just had a lucky day. Note that all the campionships of the past yars took place in different waters, with different fishes: some in the Pacific, some in the Atlantic, some in the Mediterranean. But top guys are always the same. This means something to me.

wow, hey, now that's funny. if you look at the website suddly canada has a team! Hmmm...... since there has Never been a spearfishing competiton in canada to qualify... Hmmmm......

funny that.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT