• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Worlds Absolute Freediver Award 2011

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

trux

~~~~~
Dec 9, 2005
There are some exciting news about the coming annual announcement of the World`s Absolute Freediver Award 2011 that will be announced in January 2012.

If you did not hear about the WAFA yet, it is a prize for the athletes who reached the maximum of points in the combination of six freediving disciplines (STA, DYN, DNF, CWT, CNF, FIM) in given calendar year. Result from competitions, as well as from official individual record attempts count. And the results from all freediving federations count too. There are several top athletes who partially compete under AIDA, and under CMAS, FIPSAS, FFESSM or another federation. APNEA.cz tries to remove the barriers between all those federations, and despite some minor differences in the rules, it considers all federations equal.

You can see the results of the last year WAFA at the following address: APNEA.cz - World's Absolute Freediver Award

The winners of the last WAFA were quite pleased by the new award. It helped some of them to attract the interest of sponsors. However, the only reward they got besides it, was the virtual award with no real prize attached. The exciting news mentioned at the beginning is that sponsors start to be interested in supporting the event. So this year, the winners will not only receive my personal congratulations like the last time, but also some nice prizes.

dessault.gif

At this moment, there are three sponsors who promised their help. The first donor who will support the award in a form of material is an important player in the freediving business - Dessault. Currently they are specialized in equipment for spearfishing, but it looks like they understood that competitive freediving is a quickly developing discipline, and I would not be surprised if we see their products better tailored for pure freedivers in a near future. Their involvement in the sport is promising. The gifts for the winners were not specified yet, but I`ll announce them as soon as the information is available.

scubapro.gif

I was very pleased also by the offer of Scubapro / Uwatec who will donate two brand new Meridian diving computers for the top winners. It is a completely new amazing instrument, and I am sure it can be very helpful to the top winners. The Meridian is an advanced scuba and freediving computer with an integrated heart rate monitor coming in an attractive Swiss-designed watch case. It has more features useful to a freediver than practically any other computer on the market. Read more details about it in the previous article at APNEA.cz - Blog or check it out in the grand review of all freediving computers.

th_uwatec_meridian.png
th_uwatec_meridian.png

apneaman.gif

The third sponsor is APNEAMAN.cz resp. their FreediveShop.cz. They will donate their excellent nose-clips to everyone on the award list (2x 10 main awardees + 2 special prizes for the most diligent competitors), and probably some other useful product they manufacture.

fdd.gif

And lastly, this year, inspired by the blog of Linda Paganelli of Freedive Dahab, I decided to add a special Chicken Award. She has the bad luck to have promised, in a weak moment, sponsoring it. She did not specify the prizes yet, but knowing her, I would expect a voucher for 100 hours of a free slave labor in the FDD store, 30 minutes of whipping with a lanyard (the one with a steel wire), or a ride with a liquid Vodka mask to 100m (her famous Vodka vision mask filled with real vodka as the physiologic fluid).

I still hope there will be other sponsors joining WAFA too, and adding more gifts, but already now it does not look bad. If any of you run a freediving oriented business and think the publicity of the award could help you, and if you can afford to donate some funds or some gifts, please write to sponsor@apnea.cz. Thank you!

The main problem remaining is the shipping. Considering the number of the awardees, and their locations all over the world, and considering the size of some of the gifts in discussion, the total shipping cost may easily surpass 1,000 € (although some of the gifts will be generously sent directly by the sponsors). Unfortunately APNEA.cz does not make any profit at all from the services it provides to the community, and hence cannot afford sponsoring the shipping. So if anyone of you could help, please click the Paypal button at the bottom of the page at Apnea.cz, to send some money to help funding the shipping of the prizes. Your name will be listed along the main sponsors, on the award page (unless you wish staying anonymous).

Thank you!
Ivo Truxa
le machiniste d'APNEA.cz

Reactions: azapa
As a Suunto athlete, maybe he'll give me the watch :)

In all seriousness, it's awesome that you've managed to get such prizes. Thanks Ivo!

Reactions: trux
Good work!
Looking forward - I can telltale (or add) some nice results from today that might mess a little around. Jesper Stechmann 180 DNF and 7.04 stat. + Jakob Hansen 141m DNF...
Rune didnt surpass earlier results from this year but did 178m DNF and some 6½ static.
Maybe Dynamics tomorrow will stir even more up (Danish pool Championchips this weekend).

Anyway thank you for making the effort of having this prize!
Morten

Reactions: trux
Congratulations to the winners!
Wait with that, Kars. There are no winners yet. Just some serious suspects, but there are still plenty of competitions planned till the end of the year, so I would wait with the congratulations till January :)

:) Yes, I always hide it at the end of the year, to keep the suspense a bit. It will come back after the announcemnt, of course.

Hehe I knew Trux will hide it and I checked it before he did it :blackeye
Too bad I havn't done any CWT performance this year :head and now Jesper's results will get him high too :D

Due to some complications, the publishing of the results of the World's Absolute Freediver Award 2010 had to be postponed, but today I was finally able to release them. You can find them at http://apnea.cz/?awards and the press release with some more details at http://apnea.cz/wafa2011.html

This year, the main awards belong to Alena Zabloudilová (Czech Republic) and to William Trubridge (New Zealand). Alena is followed by Jody Fisher from Australia (absolutely shocking - it was her first year of freediving!), and another Czech girl Jarmila Slovenčíková. And on the boys' side, the 2nd and 3rd place are occupied again by the Danes (although there is one change from the last year): Rune Hallum Sørensen and Jesper Stechmann. I let you look at the complete results for the remaining names.

There is also the ranking of the best countries - the best women are of course, where else than in the Czech Republic! They are followed by French, and Russians. And at boys, the lead of New Zealand is too big for anyone else to catch up. French men are second, and Danes third.

They are then also two Special Prizes for the most diligent freedivers - those who booked the highest number of starts. In 2011 it was Junko Kitahama (Japan) with 27 starts and Grégoire Folly (Switzerland) with 23 starts.

Originally, I considered adding also a special Chicken Prize for the biggest achieved negative difference of Announced and Realized Performance, but since the founder and the main sponsor behind this prize did not react (you all know who it is), I left it out of the official results. However, I can tell you that the Chicken Prize 2011 would belong to Guy Brew for his STA at WC 2011 (AP 8:11, RP 1:16), and among women to Odaisy Salgado Martinez for her DYN AP 120.00 m and RP 2.30 m at a CMAS competitions in Cuba. However, I agree with everyone that this is very very very mean (as mean as the inventor), and perhaps it is finally better that I left if out. I hope both Guy and Odaisy are thankful :)

However, even without the Chicken Award, this WAFA was exceptional. I managed to find some sponsors, and although one of them caught the Chicken Disease too, and stopped to answer my emails when it came to the prizes (though still posting ads on apnea.cz), we still got two excellent sponsors: SPORASUB UWATEC and APNEAMAN.cz (aka also FreedivingShop.cz).

Both main winners, Alena and Will, receive a freshly released revolutionary diving computer Scubapro Uwatec Meridian with an integrated heart rate monitor. Scubapro also donated some freediving masks for the second rank, and all twenty awardees receive freediving equipment from Apneaman.cz (noseclips for all, plus bags and buoys for the top three in each category).

The only problem remains the shipping cost, that I had to cover from my own pocket (~300€). I tried to raise some funds for the shipping through a campaign in winter 2011, but unfortunately the only generous person was the top awarded freediver himself, who is really the last person I'd ask the money. So if anyone of you enjoys the Apnea.cz ranking, please send a few bucks through the Paypal button down on any Apnea.cz page.

Many thanks in advance,
Ivo

PS: the official Press Release will not go to the media before Tuesday. As I am not a native English speaker, I'd appreciate the feedback from anyone who is willng to proofread it. Also, if you have contact to some journalists, me and the awardees, we'll be all thankful if you could help spreading the PR.

Last edited:
I posted some more background information about the award and about the prizes in another blog entry here:

APNEA.cz - Blog

I am just packing the gifts, and also printed certificates for all 22 athletes. The photo on the cert is one from the album of photos from WC09 in Aarhus of Jérôme Chapelle, but this one was is in fact a shot of Jérome self taken by Cédric Genin. You can see a sample of the cert below, and there is a photo of some the prizes too.
wafa-cert-2011-sample.jpg wafa-2011-prizes.jpg
As you see it is a lot of equipment, and the shipment is worldwide, hence the cost is high. APNEA.cz needs your help. If you enjoy the website, the global ranking, you like the WAFA, and want to keep it running in future, please support APNEA.cz with a small donation - please click the Paypal button on the bottom of this page, and send us a few bucks. Without your help, Apnea.cz will not live for long, since not only the WAFA prizes, but also the maintenance of the site charge me personally very high both in terms of time and money, and I may not be able to sponsor all from my personal savings for long time.

Many thanks in advance,
Ivo

Last edited:
Wow, the WAFA certificate and the prizes look wonderful! :)

Thanks Ivo for all the hard work and effort you have done for Apnea.cz and WAFA, it's very much appreciated. I wish I had done some deep diving in 2011 to had a change to get one of the diplomas. :p

I encourage everyone to go to apnea.cz and give a small donation, we really want to keep that great site running.

Wow, the WAFA certificate and the prizes look wonderful! :)

Thanks Ivo for all the hard work and effort you have done for Apnea.cz and WAFA, it's very much appreciated. I wish I had done some deep diving in 2011 to had a change to get one of the diplomas. :p
Mikko, you still have a very good chance to get one. Not only in the next years, but also now. I just announced that there will be a drawing of a diploma and an Apneaman nose-clip:

APNEA.cz - Blog

And since you are currently, together with Will Trubridge, and Chris Marshal one of the only three donors, and Will already has his diploma and the prize, and does not need another one, your chances are high.

Of course, anyone else who participates, and supports the WAFA a bit, will be included in the drawing. And if the donations surpass the direct costs of organizing the WAFA (600€ = 300€ packing and shipping of the gifts, 100€ diplomas, and say 200€ worth a single month cost of the server hosting), I'll throw in some additional gifts and a diploma for everyone. Currently we are at 110€ collected.

So even if you donate just 10€, you have a chance to receive a gift worth of almost 40€ (30€ noseclip, 4€ cert + 3-5€ the shipping), eventually even more if I throw in the additional prizes.

But even if you cannot afford donating a few bucks to support WAFA and Apnea.cz, you can still help greatly and esily if you simply post the Press Release on your blog or website. This is a great help, since the more external links there are, the more sponsor appreaciate it, and the athletes, national AIDA's, and WAFA have chances to conclude some agreements. More details in the aboved linked blog entry.

So thank you in advance, although any financial help is very much welcome, I don't ask more than a minute of your time to paste the Press Release onto your web, or to post the link to it, at least.

PS: pease report any publication of the PR, so that I can add a reverse link to your website on this page: http://apnea.cz/wafa-links.html

Thanks,
Ivo

Last edited:
I see there is no feedback :(. I understand well that people are not excited about the financial help, but I hoped that at least posting the PR or a link to it on your blog or website was not too much to ask. Unfortunately it looks that among the thousands of DB members nobody cares too much whether the WAFA and Apnea.cz stay alive or not. That's finally also not a bad conclusion. No feedback is also a feedback. It clearly tells that it will harm nobody if I finally shut down the website, and use my time and funds for something more sensful.

I see there is no feedback :(. I understand well that people are not excited about the financial help, but I hoped that at least posting the PR or a link to it on your blog or website was not too much to ask. Unfortunately it looks that among the thousands of DB members nobody cares too much whether the WAFA and Apnea.cz stay alive or not. That's finally also not a bad conclusion. No feedback is also a feedback. It clearly tells that it will harm nobody if I finally shut down the website, and use my time and funds for something more sensful.

Sorry, everybody is too busy checking the amazing news, blog, tweet on Murat dive :(

If I had a freediving related website I would put a link for sure, apnea.cz is definitely a worthy resource.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT